what classifies as a straight wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im new to this site so hopefully this is in the right forum section.

Me and my partner moved into our first house in feb '12, its a new build with Charles Church. We gave our 30day inspection back however Charles Church lost this paperwork so we are only just getting work carried out!

We have a problem on our stairs where the 2 plasterboards join, its a very visible line (i think they have only taped the joints) This today was being sorted by a decorator, and we both noticed that the wall is infact not straight infact over a 400mm spirit level, the top of the spirit level is flush to the wall and the bottom is approx 15-20mm away from the wall.

I called the site manager and asked him to come and see, he tells me that its within building regs as a 'straight wall' as it doesn't come out over 30mm over an 8ft spirit level.

Is this true or is he just lying to me so he doesnt have to carry out the work?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I called the site manager and asked him to come and see, he tells me that its within building regs as a 'straight wall' as it doesn't come out over 30mm over an 8ft spirit level.
!

Could be wrong, but have never read that in Building Regs.

Charles French are NHBC Registered house builders and the NHBC standards are quite clear in that the plumb of wall finish should not exceed plus, minus 8mm over a 2.5mm storey height, i.e. floor to ceiling. Tell the site manager to read NHBC standards Chapter 1.2, page 4, plastered and dry lined wall surfaces. Tell him you will refer the matter to NHBC unless he sorts it to your satisfaction.
If your figures are right and it is 17mm out in 400mm then you have a serious problem.
Regards oldun

NHBC state +/- 5mm over a 2m straight edge. And no visible deviations or marks viewed from 1m away

Is that the modern version of plumb. How can a door hang properly if the frame is 5mm out? When I was housebuilding in the 60,s we were expected to be no more than 1/8" (3mm) in 12ft. If any more the wall would have been knocked down. But then we used plumblines, not spirit levels accurate to 3mm in a metre.

Sponsored Links
NHBC state +/- 5mm over a 2m straight edge. And no visible deviations or marks viewed from 1m away

Afraid you are not quite correct woody.

Your statement should read. Flatness of wall +/- 5mm maximum deviation from 2m straight edge with equal offsets horizontally and vertically. This standard is for the flatness of the wall and that there should be no bumps or hollows +/- 5mm over a 2m length of wall.

With regard to. And no visible deviations or marks viewed from 1m away. Curious to know where you have found that statement as it is not in current NHBC standards.

As our previous post the standards for plumb of either fair faced masonry, plastered or dry lined wall is +/- 8mm over 2500 storey height.
Regards oldun

Afraid you are not quite correct woody.

Your statement should read. Flatness of wall +/- 5mm maximum deviation from 2m straight edge with equal offsets horizontally and vertically. This standard is for the flatness of the wall and that there should be no bumps or hollows +/- 5mm over a 2m length of wall.

Oh yes of course it should of read that, I am so sorry for not being a pedant and not quoting verbatim to an OP who would obviously know what that load of nonsense actually meant in English

Oh yes of course it should of read that, I am so sorry for not being a pedant and not quoting verbatim to an OP who would obviously know what that load of nonsense actually meant in English

Have, have read, woody, you bad, bad man.

Tweedledum is on form today, managed to belittle two people in one post, and tweedledee found it funny. They need to get back digging that hole.

To jamer1410. If oldun posts then ignore anybody else (apart from calculating areas of driveways that is :) ).

Tweedledum is on form today, managed to belittle two people in one post, and tweedledee found it funny. They need to get back digging that hole.

To jamer1410. If oldun posts then ignore anybody else (apart from calculating areas of driveways that is :) ).
You really are an idiot!

Apologies accepted woody.
With your assistance the OP now has two correct answers with regard to wall tolerances.
Regards oldun

Apologies accepted woody.
With your assistance the OP now has two correct answers with regard to wall tolerances.
Regards oldun

LOL. I'll keep you on your toes, and you keep my petulance in check ;)

thanks very much guys! we have agreed on a resolution, for the 12mm plasterboard to be cut out and 9mm put in with spacers behind to pack it out then smooth it all out etc. Hopefully this will make it at better (visually anyway)

Next question, follow on from the above, they have started the work and the t**ts that came back to carry out the repairs didnt even use dust sheets on the carpets up the stairs and the house is full of dust and crap. Pretty sure they didnt even take their boots off as their is boot prints all up the stairs! Am I within my rights for a cleaner to come in and clear up all the mess?

Im an electrician, and if I left somebodys house in this state I would be sacked on the spot. My mess I always clear up, their mess they have left!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back