What code for these ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on holiday, and being a bit OCD I can never resist looking at the electrics (and other things) in the places we stay. I tend to send the host an email afterwards with any constructive comments I can give them.
The CU is an old 8-way Wylex board retrofitted with plug-in MCBs. There's also an RCD (30mA) between meter and board. Supply looks lke TN-C-S via overhead wires, but I also see an earth rod round the back. Labels suggest last inspection was in 1998.
I'm thinking the single RCD would be code C3 as it doesn't divide the installation at all so one fault would take out the whole cottage - but it's not, in itself, dangerous.
How would you code the CU ? Is it no code as there's nothing really wrong with it ? Or C2 as anyone can pull an MCB without any tools and leave a live hole that things could be poked into ? Or C3 because it's not really that serious and there's an RCD upstream of it ? I'm leaning towards C3 as live parts are less accessible than in most light fittings.

Sponsored Links
So your email will say you stayed at their property, ‘inspected’ their electrics and then asked for codes on an Internet forum so you could give a mini EICR. An interesting approach to electrical testing.

So your email will say you stayed at their property, ‘inspected’ their electrics and then asked for codes on an Internet forum so you could give a mini EICR. An interesting approach to electrical testing.
Hmmm - what a useful post.

It would, indeed, be "an interesting approach to electrical testing" since it appears to not involve any testing at all!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm - what a useful post.

It would, indeed, be "an interesting approach to electrical testing" since it appears to not involve any testing at all!

Put me on block and I’ll block you. I’m sick of your pedantry when I post.

I have never 'blocked' anyone, and I don't intend to start now.

With a long history of so many of my posts having been singled out for criticism, it seems that things are perceived differently when the tables are turned.

If I was you, which I'm definitely not, I wouldn't send the email. You will make a bit of a berk of yourself.

You haven't seen anything dangerous enough, the plug in MCBs were fine in their day, in fact they are still available now if you know where to look.

A 30mA RCD covering a whole property is not that unusual - in fact nearly forty years ago large consumer units with a 30mA RCD main switch were relatively common.

To me it sounds old fashioned and out of date, but that's all so far.

Since you have done a bit of a 'visual', you have not done any actual testing, so your list of defects could be very incomplete. I think it would be foolish to start banging on about codes when there is nothing immediately dangerous that you know about in the first place.

I have never 'blocked' anyone, and I don't intend to start now.

With a long history of so many of my posts having been singled out for criticism, it seems that things are perceived differently when the tables are turned.
I typed test, when it should have been inspect.

As for the validity of my post, I can’t see anything to be gained from pointing out a couple of issues and especially including codes.

Calm down everyone.
Yes I do tend to send such emails - they tend to be little things like "next time you are ... then you might consider ...". The things that someone not living in the house wouldn't notice, and most people wouldn't be bothered to mention.
One such item here is there is a hoist up clothes airer - very useful. However, the double pulley has been screwed in straight to the sloping ceiling rather than straight to the way the ropes run - so the ropes are visibly wearing. Not a big deal, but fixing the pulley properly next time they are doing maintenance will avoid that wear and avoid having to replace the rope - possibly after it's worn enough to jam when another visitor is there. Plus, for another couple of foot of rope, my wife could operate it without using her walking stick - she's "a bit shorter" than me.
The electrics look a little overdue for checking, but are generally fine as far as what can be seen. But from the PoV of the hassle that would be caused to a non-resident host (I don't think they are local to the cottage) should the guests get in touch to say "the power's off" (and it can't be reset because of a N-E fault), a single RCD is far from ideal. It won't be a case of saying "you need to update the electrics", just a case of "at some point, discuss this with your electrician". It would actually be a very easy board swap given the space available and cable routing - assuming no borrowed neutrals, which I doubt given the apparent age (or lack of it) for the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back