what constitutes a new circuit?

I've had a brilliant idea - makes perfect sense to me.

Apart from damage repair or replacing accessories in the same place, all work on or creation of new ring finals to be notifiable. No work on or creation of new radial socket circuits to be notifiable.

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I've had a brilliant idea - makes perfect sense to me. .... Apart from damage repair or replacing accessories in the same place, all work on or creation of new ring finals to be notifiable. No work on or creation of new radial socket circuits to be notifiable. :mrgreen:
Yes, I can see that would make sense to you!

Kind Regards, John

I've been trying hard to think how they could have done this better, in a matter which was rational, logical, consistent and 'sensible'. It's not easy. It might even be essentially ';impossible'!

I think I have now convinced myself that there is no rational or logical way to attempt to make a distinction between OPDs on the basis of what 'enclosure' they exist in - so we can't really have a (notifiability) rule based on a BS7671-like definition of a 'new circuit' which does not 'catch' FCUs.

We could therefore start by defining a (notifiable) 'new circuit' as one originating from any OPD which was either new or previously unused. That would obviously 'catch' all FCUs (as well as circuits originating from, say, a 'secondary' CU in an outhouse) and if we wanted at least some uses of FCUs (or, to be logical, any equivalent 'OPD with In≤13A in an enclosure') to be non-notifiable, then that would have to be dealt with by specific exclusions. Exclusions one might want to contemplate would probably include fused spurs/branches from a ring/radial final and FCUs (or equivalent) supplying a single fixed item of equipment (perhaps including a single light fitting plus switch).

However, 'sensible' though that might sound, I think I would seriously struggle to justify those 'exclusions' rationally. If we felt (as we do) that a light+switch fed from a (new or previously unused) B6 should be notifiable, how could we rationally justify saying that feeding it from a (new or previously unused) 3A or 5A FCU should be non-notifiable? Similarly, if we feel (as we do) that installing a number of new sockets on a radial originating from a B16 is notifiable, how could we rationally justify saying that adding sockets to an existing ring (or radial) final via a 13A FCU (i.e. 'a fused spur') was not notifiable?

I fear the fact is that none of us (not just the authors of the Building Regs) has a very clear, rational and consistent idea of what should, and should not, be notifiable!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back