What constitutes 'starting work' for building control

W

walkern

Hello,
I've had quite a delayed start to my building work and my builder still isn't ready but I've just realised on 3rd April my building control plans run out. So I'm going to get the foundations dug myself.

I rang the council to see what they meant by 'the work must start within 3 years' but I didn't really get a proper answer as to what that meant. All he said was you should have us out by then but we can give a week or so for first inspection, implying that my foundations will be dug. I doubt I'll get my foundations dug by then.

I thought it would be a case of simply giving them a chitty saying I've started with a token little hole :)

Any thoughts on what I can get away with by 'starting'.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to start anything for building control. Just give then the required 48 hours notice.

Guess he means planning. 3 April? Better get a digger out sharpish! Like at the weekend! :LOL:

I had a similar client problem, only he came to me after his three years had expired and turns out what he'd done did not warrant a start on site. Meantime Local Planning Policy has changed considerably and his previously approved monstrosity has no chance - the dope!

But are planning going to know or check?

Anyway, you need to make a significant start, which will mean putting the foundation concrete in and not just digging the trench.

And research the difference between planning and building control, you are mixing the two up and you don't want to be ringing the one up to talk about the other.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I said and meant building control, I don't think I mentioned planning anywhere in my message :)

Planning, for reasons beyond me, don't need confirmation of starting until middle of May.

But are planning going to know or check?
Probably not, my client actually rang the planners up to double check what he'd done warranted a start on site, thereby highlighting them to the fact that it did not and his planning had expired - the double dope! :LOL:

Why he decided to take this course of action is beyond me and even the client doesn't really know why he did it either. :mrgreen:

Hello,
I said and meant building control, I don't think I mentioned planning anywhere in my message :)

Planning, for reasons beyond me, don't need confirmation of starting until middle of May.

Easy tiger.

We know what you wrote, but don't know what you meant because it makes no sense.

And nor does the above. Why do planning need to know that you have started in the middle of May?

If they need to inspect the trench before you fill it then the fully excavated trench must be 'the start'.

If you only have to get them out, then dig a 4 inch deep 6 inch wide trench and get them out. Of course it'll fail and they won't be impressed, but you'll have technically got them out to inspect! Or does it have to pass inspection?
Once you've dug the actual trench you have to fill it pretty soon before the ground deteriorates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back