What counts towards home energy efficiency?

SAP was introduced for new houses to provide a measure of the energy efficiency of the home and formed part of the means of complying with Part L of the building regulations. Amendments to Part L over the years changed the methods of compliance but a high SAP rating is still a sign of an energy efficient well insulated etc house and can't be a bad thing.

Sponsored Links
My wife wants us to sell both our houses and move to a better house. The question is what is better. At the moment one house will not allow storing of caravan, and the other we need to park cars so last in has to be first out. We would like be able to select car without moving the other out of the way.

I want caravan at home so battery is maintained so ready to be used without needing to refit battery.

However there is also the space, my wife does craft so wants a house with room to store all her craft supplies (Junk) so wants more floor space. Also the area of Shotton where we live, with a car only way in/out of the complex is one main road B5129 the railway and Wepre brook mean there is no alternative motor vehicle access or egress. Walking or push bike yes, I am a stones through from Wepre Park and cycle routes to the Chester Millennium Green way cycle track.

So although there are down points with Shotton, there are also good points, and I am insisting the new house is better not worse. As from 7:30 am to 10:30 pm we have buses to Chester and trains to Wrexham on which my bus pass works. So I can go to Barmouth for the day for no cost to me some 63 miles away by car 1¾ hours, by train and bus 2.5 to 3 hours depending on time waiting in Wrexham.

So my wife is having a hard time finding a better house. The houses she has found to date have steep narrow roads, no or limited bus service, in the shadow of cliffs, or need a lot of work doing to them. We are moving from two houses valued at £185,000 each to one at £250,000 but she is struggling to find one where it is an improvement. Don't want to move two far from family so 30 miles from Chester to 30 miles from Shrewsbury is the area we are looking at.

So river Dee and Seven and the Shropshire Union and Montgomery canal, which connect to Chester even if the tow path in sections is not ridable on a bike.

Only you can decide, good luck, hope you find one that fits your needs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back