What do Building Control need to know about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We are about to start a long run of work on our property, several jobs that will be done over time to achieve an end result. Briefly these are:

-----

Removal of the front of the chimney in the kitchen to make way for a new range-style hob/ovens;

Possible removal of a supporting wall in the cellar under where the steps are (original coal hole) to open up the room;

New floor to cellar (with dpm and channel round the perimeter);

Membrane waterproofing system and channels to walls;

Walls boarded out in waterproofed cellar;

-----

Now, we are going to be tackling these jobs in the order above, but probably all separately. Could anybody tell me what building control will need to know about and sign off. Obviously the chimney and supporting wall are structural, so that goes without saying, but what about the other jobs? The cellar room in question has just had its old rotten wooden window replaced with a tilt n turn uPVC window that has a very large opening into a drain/lightwell which will have ladders in it eventually (means of escape).

Do they need to know about the floor and waterproofing, and the other work?

I ask because over the period of time, these jobs will add up to thousands of pounds of work, but individually, probably less than 1k for the first two (each), a couple for the floor, and under 3 for the waterproofing. Added up could come to a total nearing 10k, but do we need to pay the fee for this 10k, or just separately for the jobs as we do them?

Many thanks in advance, if I have not made myself clear, please reply requesting further info.

Sponsored Links
They will want a cetificate for the window unless it went in 2002.
town hall building control will supply a booklet with brief building regs.
courtesy of odpm ((grrrrrr)))) Or download even.
Have fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back