What do I need for building regs sign off?

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had an extension built by a building company but not to a finished standard. They did all the electrics, ventilation and hidden plumbing and I've got to put the doors in, add handrails to the stairs, put radiators on and fit the bathroom.

The council building control have done two inspections during the build and the last one left is the final sign off.

What do I need to get done before calling them in for that? Do I need the radiators on and working for example?

Sponsored Links
you need to complete anything that is a compliant element.

I would think handrail is needed, probably doors
not sure about rads -I would imagine so
you need correct ventilation fitted

you need the electrical certificate submitted
and a gas safe cert if relevant.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
All the drainage/fittings need to be in place, rads will need to be fitted, handrail etc.
Essentially completed work apart from decorating, tiling etc. Inspection can be carried out and gas certs/electrics can be forwarded later but you won't receive the comp cert till these are provided.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
All the drainage/fittings need to be in place, rads will need to be fitted, handrail etc.
Essentially completed work apart from decorating, tiling etc. Inspection can be carried out and gas certs/electrics can be forwarded later but you won't receive the comp cert till these are provided.

Thanks.

Is there a time limit for me to to get this done? I hadn't planned to immediately finish the bathroom but would need to crack on if all the drainage and rads need to be in for the inspection.

No, the only time limit on B Regs is that you must commence the work within 3 years of submitting the app, once you have started there is no time limit to complete.
If you are fitting the bathroom at a later date you could request an occupation inspection, though I'm not sure how B control are operating presently inspection wise as I left B Control just before lock down to go back on the drawing board, though I keep getting asked to do 2 stroke tuning and build more engines than plans at the moment!!!

• Thanks
And you will always have "ongoing building works" in terms of your home insurance quotes.

The work is nowhere near complete and can't be occupied.

• Thanks
I've done all the handrails and only have one door to put on (to the bathroom).

One room just needs decorating plus radiator and carpet and the bathroom needs starting but was always due to happen later. If I put the door on it then it would just be a second undecorated room wouldn't it? All the pipe work is behind walls/under the floor, there's nothing that says it has to be a bathroom to be finished surely?

there's nothing that says it has to be a bathroom to be finished surely?
Waste water pipework, connection to drains, soil stack venting, ventilation, air extraction, sound proofing, electrics.

One room just needs decorating plus radiator and carpet and the bathroom needs starting but was always due to happen later. If I put the door on it then it would just be a second undecorated room wouldn't it? All the pipe work is behind walls/under the floor, there's nothing that says it has to be a bathroom to be finished surely?
Decoration doesn't matter for B regs. There is no problem occupying the extension with the bathroom not complete, the file will be kept open and when you eventually complete all the work request a completion inspection. You could request an occupation inspection once the doors, handrail, any smoke detection and the like are in place, though no one ever bothers in reality.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back