What do I need to seal this please?

11 Apr 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
This is a new rigid riser rail that was supplied, by the manufacturer, for my shower. The original riser didn't have this inner plastic pipe and used a fibre washer in the joint to the valve.

I tried to use a rubber shower hose washer and although this sealed the inner pipe it was quite thick so I couldn't tighten the connection to the valve sufficiently so it leaked at that joint.

Do I need a fibre washer, an O ring or something else please?

Is it common for rigid risers to have this inner plastic pipe now?


Sponsored Links
Never seen one with that type of pipe insert, though new things come out every day. I take it they didn't supply it with seals? They should have. I'd get back onto them and get them to supply the correct ones.
@Madrab To be honest this replacement part was supplied a few years ago, only just got round to changing. We had it in the box in the loft but there were no washers or anything.

Manufacturer has basically confirmed that it is the replacement part for my shower and if I cannot for some reason stop it leaking then my only option with them is, and I quote, "If this doesn't resolve the leaking or if it does not fit, the only alternative option that I can provide is to replace the product under our refresh scheme, which means that you can purchase a new shower at a reduced cost and an Engineer can replace your product for you."

I can't really blame the manufacturer as I have had this part for some years now and should have fit it straight away but all that was wrong with the original riser was a small dent on the side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links