What doesn't silicone stick to..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I want to seal up some draughty windows, I want to seal them with clear silicone sealant but don't want to seal them shut.

I want to apply the silicone to the open window, shut it to create a unique seal untill it drys and then allow it to open after.

What can I apply to the frame to stop the silicone sealing it shut?

What about silicone grease?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't stick to greased surfaces so Vaseline would be a option, test it out on a couple of blocks of wood

I think I'd be tempted to run a bead of silicon to the open window and leave the window open until it has set. When you then close the window , the silicon bead should then provide an effective seal against the frame.

Sponsored Links
Or just fit a draught proofing strip which has been specifically designed for the purpose.

Polythene , there used to be kits which included a roll of thin polythene which is applied over the sealant then the window is closed onto it, then peeled off when cured.

Thanks for the replies.

Cling film had been mentioned before, I'll try that.

Polythene , there used to be kits which included a roll of thin polythene which is applied over the sealant then the window is closed onto it, then peeled off when cured.

I remember that but never tried it ,was it any good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back