What is a "good quality" masking tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly to embark on two jobs requiring the use of silicone sealant. I’ve read a lot about how to use masking tape to obtain a neat finish. However, one or two authors make a particular point about using a “good quality” masking tape for such a job. Could anyone enlighten me please as to what is a good quality masking tape and what is a poor quality masking tape? Perhaps someone has a specific recommendation for a good quality one?

In case it matters, the two jobs are sealing the gap between a bath and the adjacent wall tiles, and sealing gaps between UPVC window frames. (I do know that I need a different type of silicone sealant for each job!)

Additional information: I’ve been advised directly by the manufacturers that FrogTape is not suitable for use with silicone sealant but Tesa is suitable.

Sponsored Links
PS I have used frog when siliconing around work tops never had a problem.
Well, that is interesting. I have an email from Shurtape UK Ltd stating, "We would not advise use with silicone sealants.".

Sponsored Links
One more for the Frog tape......can be left on materials for ages, and comes off without leaving its adhesive behind. Never had issues with silicone either - although you would remove the tape quickly anyway in that case. There's nothing more infuriating as cheap tape not coming clean off the roll!
John :)

Lets just say that the tape in stores like Poundland - is NOT good quality & start from there :)

Any decent masking tape from one of the sheds will be fine. Go by the price. If it's cheap, don't buy it. Something like Scotch or 3M should be fine. The tape only needs to be on for a few minutes.

I also think Frog tape is brilliant stuff particularly for decorating and butting two wall colours. Have also masticked a bath with it when the masking tape ran out.

You can use any decent sealant around the windows but remember that paint will not take over it. Personally, I would probably go for decorators caulk. Unless you mean outside of course.

My thanks to all who have replied.

I think I need to get back to Shurtape UK Ltd to tell them that FrogTape is being used successfully with silicone sealants and see what they say.

Someone behind the counter in my local plumbers' merchant told me that he has seen people using a green masking tape with silicone sealants, but he didn't know which brand it was. Its seems now that it might have been FrogTape.

You can use any decent sealant around the windows but remember that paint will not take over it. Personally, I would probably go for decorators caulk. Unless you mean outside of course.
Yes, it is outside. And the gaps are between UPVC and UPVC. So I don't think decorators' caulk is the right product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back