what exactly is a drop feed radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain what is meant by this term please ...

Sponsored Links
Where the pipes connecting to it come down the wall from above.
Usually small bore plastic concealed in the wall in modern installations
or copper exposed on the surface with a feeble attempt to hide them behind the curtain in older bungalows.

All radiators are the same, the term drop feed as above, means the pipes drop down from above, usually means the house has stone floors

thanks , then that's what I have.
Was just making sure the drain cock which is next to lowest radiator in my kitchen (the cellar) was the best place to drain the system after adding fernox cleaner

Sponsored Links
Should be a drain down lockshield valve on every drop fed radiator

thanks , then that's what I have.
Was just making sure the drain cock which is next to lowest radiator in my kitchen (the cellar) was the best place to drain the system after adding fernox cleaner

The drop feed radiator should have its own drain off point. Imagine a "regular" fed rad with a drain off next to a drop down. You could drain off the rad and the rads above, but the drop down will still be full of water.

BTW, based on my lay experience- I have tried to drain down systems in the past and discovered that the rubber washer in the drain off has "glued" itself to the inner body of the drain-off, you undo the screw fully and find the washer is blocking the hole (only a dribble of water comes out). In those cases I drive a screw into the hole in the rubber washer and then pull it out. I am then left with a drain off point without a washer. I just buy a new drain off point, remove the "guts" and screw it in to the existing fitting. You need to put your finger over the hole whilst the water runs through your drain off hosepipe, or fit the new guts really quickly.

I have only ever come across two different types.

https://www.toolstation.com/mt-cock-type-a/p71396

and

https://www.tdlonline.co.uk/Plumbin...621-/15mm-Heavy-Pattern-Solder-Drain-Off-Cock

It would be cheaper to purchase the correct washer but I am disorganised. A tip I picked up here was to smear a little silicone grease on the new washer to reduce the risk of it sticking in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back