What flooring choice - opinions/experience wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a go. We are in the process of renovating our bungalow. We've got suspended wooden floors (18mm chipboards) with Polypipe overlay wet UFH. The UFH boards are 18mm and look like a cement type board for those that are unaware of it. These boards have been glued together and screwed to the suspended floor. The UFH has stiffened up the floor nicely. Ideally we want to have the same flooring all way through the property. Originally wanted engineered wood, but the kitchen and bathroom put me off that with two small boys. Other options we considered is ceramic or porcelain tiles, or Amtico / Karndean type vinyl tiles. We are worried about tiles cracking, but also worried about scuffs on vinyl tiles. Wood would have been perfect as we could have gone for something a bit more rustic and any further scuffs would add to the 'character'. We could also still go for wood everywhere except the kitchen & bathroom, but that does spoil the look a bit.

Has anyone got any experience of doing something similar. The flooring choice is obviously an important and expensive decision considering it is approx. 150m^2. We also want it to last 10-15 years or longer ideally.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would look at an engineered floor throughout, other than in the bathrooms where I would look at an Amtico/Karndean style product. Make sure you lay the Engineered floor on an underfloor heating underlay such as Duralay Heatflow though, you need the floor to ideally be as thermal efficient as possible.

Make sure with the engineered that you understand the difference between lacquered, UV Oiled and Oiled finishes as this makes a huge difference to how the floor performs in use, one of these finishes will influence what you choose.

A Laminate floor will be far and away the easiest floor to live with and there are some superb products available, they dont mark as easily as wood or LVT. Well worth a look at better end laminate such as Quickstep, Parador etc.

For the bathroom, I would definately look at a vinyl type product, Kitchen is less critical if you don't tend to have water leaks etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back