Best flooring option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need recommendations please for our ground floor renovation for an open-plan kitchen, diner, living room plus the front hall. i.e. high footfall in areas, plus risk of moisture etc in kitchen. The rear has a west facing 3m sliding door, so lots of sun exposure.

We are considering engineered wood flooring or a vinyl product such as karndean.

Any sort of wood is vulnerable to moisture and I have read that karndean can fade in sunlight.

Can i get any experiences or comments of flooring in the above situations?

cheers, drp

Sponsored Links
Check out the click range by multiPANEL.....superb wood effect, no underlay needed and superbly tough and waterproof. Cuts with a Stanley knife, I haven't come across a better flooring product!
John :)

Check out the click range by multiPANEL.....superb wood effect, no underlay needed and superbly tough and waterproof. Cuts with a Stanley knife, I haven't come across a better flooring product!

Just looking at this now.

Roughly how thick are the planks? I'd ideally like to lay a new floor without having to pull up the old tiles and level....

Cheers

Ben

I'm in the final stages of selecting a laminate floor - some kind of hickory colour - and read this with interest. I noticed they also do ceiling tiles as well. I do have one ceiling that is completely knackered and I was dreading fixing it... I wonder...

Sponsored Links

Just looking at this now.

Roughly how thick are the planks? I'd ideally like to lay a new floor without having to pull up the old tiles and level....

Cheers

Ben
The planks are around 5mm thick, Ben - maybe 6. They aren't cheap, maybe £30 or more per sq m but they snap together brilliantly - much better than conventional laminate. Don't be put off by the vinyl content - they are as tough as hell.

The planks are around 5mm thick, Ben - maybe 6. They aren't cheap, maybe £30 or more per sq m but they snap together brilliantly - much better than conventional laminate. Don't be put off by the vinyl content - they are as tough as hell.

Cheers John - definitely going to look into these, maybe a tad on the expensive side but look very easy to lay yourself.

I'm in the final stages of selecting a laminate floor - some kind of hickory colour - and read this with interest. I noticed they also do ceiling tiles as well. I do have one ceiling that is completely knackered and I was dreading fixing it... I wonder...

I've done the guest bedroom with the floor stuff, and the bathroom with the standard multiPANEL 8x4 sheets......and after doing this I doubt if I'll ever use tiles again.
The only cloud in this silver lining is that people will want to come and stay now :eek:

Most welcome Ben - I couldn't believe that they cut with a Stanley knife, but that's all you need. There is a shaped plastic buffer for use with a hammer to help set the edges together, but that wasn't needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back