What glue for this rubber + plastic?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bluetooth ear piece
The rubber has come off

What glue do I need to use to stick it back on?
I tried using ordinary glue - the general purpose stuff you use for shoes and other things.
The glue melted the plastic!!

I'm confused... you definitely don't want something like superglue because it's brittle.
See below for pic. Thanks.

X8qVvo.jpg

Sponsored Links
sugru looks awesome
can u use tiny bits at a time?
once taken out of of packet... does it harden?

i thought there would be a tube of some sort of glue somewhere
like two part resin epoxy glue - just a guess - i was hoping someone would say this would be good to use? didn't want to burn the plastic again

but then again.. not sure if that one will be ok - then end item needs to be rubbery - like sugru

any further thoughts?

Sponsored Links
once opened its as good as finished
so aim for to shape say 2 or three versions from the packet before it it starts to sets within an hour or so to allow you to trim to final shape and size for your ears or actual use

sugru... i've seen it about for a long while. never used. i will get some just to try now that you guys have mentioned it.

but.... i'm still perplexed about what glue to use (other than sugru).
i mean: what glue did they originally use?
they must have used something rubbery?
and why does the glue i used melt the plastic? doesn't make sense to me. :)

the amount of glue needed is actually super thin - like a fraction of a millimetre thick.

thanks.

as its more tack than grip you could try wood glue if you have some kicking about
i personally would use superglue very sparingly so it glues the surface rather than soak in and harden the pad

I'd get the hot melt glue gun out myself.

Although have you tried searching Ebay for the make/model of the earpiece to see if anyone sells replacement parts?

super glue, i would try...
but it's brittle. when it breaks, i might get chunks of super glue in my ear :)

melt glue gun? the thing is... i get a solid glue then

the glue that was there is rubber

i thought the answer to this would be simple :)

Old fashioned rubber glue as used for repairing inner tubes, remains flexible but also sticks well?

there is a glue used for repairing shoes, it flexes with the shoe as you walk. I believe it is recommended for sticking rubber and leather soles.

I've never used it myself so can't vouch for it. You see it on fleabay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back