What happened to the earth? Historic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This house is now TN-C-S with a new metal consumer unit with not problems, however there were problems, and I wonder what happened.

Built 1954 with a Wilex consumer unit 3 circuits ring final, immersion heater, and lights, cooking was solid fuel and there was no cooker point.

Over the years alterations as with any house, telephone installed with party line which has a steel earth rod and a bar 1.5 mm² earth wire approx to where telephone was originally. That is only earth rod found.

I know playing in 1960's I caused a line - earth fault which ruptured the 13A fuse so at that point there was clearly an earth connected. At that point no gas in the house.

Around 2004 wanted to install a wet room and the electrician employed offered to swap whole consumer unit for £100 extra so we said yes. He had problems with RCD tripping so swapped one for an isolator promising to return next day, we never saw him again, and shortly after the builder also ran off so it was left to my son and I to complete.

So on inspecting we found the GPO earth was the only earth connected to the consumer unit, hunting we could not find any other earth and the ELI was some silly high figure around 700Ω so the DNO was called and we asked what earth we should have, they did not know so sent some one who then gave us TN-C-S, we ran new bonding wires to gas and water.

It has had me scratching head ever since wondering what happened to the earth? No earth wires found connecting to water, and at time I know there was a good earth no gas to house, I did not remove the old Wilex consumer unit so unknown what went to earth bar, but there were no wires other than twin and earth connecting to earth bar other than the GPO earth, which did not go in until 1956 I remember Suez Crisis and petrol shortage when telephone fitted and not made into party line until around 1958 and that wire was never connected to the electric supply.

Incoming water main originally in pantry, this was moved other side of wall into kitchen when wet room combined pantry and outside loo, I found no wires in the by then bare walls which could have connected incoming water main to fuse box under the stairs.

Had I not as a lad caused faults line to earth which caused both 13A and 30A fuse to rupture I would have said there was never an earth, there was never any earth to lights, but to blow those fuses shows there was at one time an earth. So thoughts as to what happened to it, and how many more houses have lost earths?

I do wonder if at some point a meter change caused loss of earth, always been under ground supply.

Sponsored Links
Had I not as a lad caused faults line to earth which caused both 13A and 30A fuse to rupture I would have said there was never an earth, there was never any earth to lights, but to blow those fuses shows there was at one time an earth. So thoughts as to what happened to it, and how many more houses have lost earths?
Were the circumstances (and/or your memory!) such that you can be absolutely certain that it was an 'L-E' fault which you caused 'as a load'?

If it definitely was an 'L-E' fault, then I would imagine that there was probably a TN-S earth at the time - with a domestic TT rod, one would never blow a 30A fuse and I would doubt that even a 'water pipe earth' would allow that, given that one would need a Zs well into 'low single figures'. However, maybe some water pipes provided very low resistance paths to earth?

Kind Regards, John

Were the circumstances (and/or your memory!) such that you can be absolutely certain that it was an 'L-E' fault which you caused 'as a load'?

If it definitely was an 'L-E' fault, then I would imagine that there was probably a TN-S earth at the time - with a domestic TT rod, one would never blow a 30A fuse and I would doubt that even a 'water pipe earth' would allow that, given that one would need a Zs well into 'low single figures'. However, maybe some water pipes provided very low resistance paths to earth?

Kind Regards, John
Good point it was while working on a tape recorder and it was a line earth fault could see the mark where line wire having been by accident pulled off spade terminal fell on the casing. So your thinking as I have that at some time a meter change caused the earth to be disconnected and when the electrician came to change fuse box to a consumer unit that would have been an earth wire going no where so simply put in the bin.

I am sure if there was a TT rod I would have found it. However all foul drain was iron, so there was a lot of metal in the ground, but 30A fuse needs around 300A to blow at same time as 13A so looking at around 1Ω ELI which is unlikely the supply transformer earth pit was good enough even with loads of earthed metal in house to get it that low.

There was never a ELCB fitted, however don't know when they came in? Did not work much in UK on houses until 1990 and by that time the ELCB-v was on it's way out being replaced with ELCB-c. Any idea when we started to fit ELCB-v units?

... So your thinking as I have that at some time a meter change caused the earth to be disconnected ...
A 'meter change' surely should not really involve getting anywhere near any earth wiring/connections, should it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Immersion Heater?

CPC to immersion heater providing path to cold water supply pipe via copper plumbing?

Original cold water pipe was probably lead, providing a good connection to true earth & maybe even a path back to the neutral via a neighbours cold water bond?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back