What happens if planning gets declined?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just received a letter of objection (on the last day of public consultation!) and wondered what would happen in the worst case scenario of planning being declined?

We're on a rather tight timescale (need to renovate before baby is here in September!). Would we require a full new planning application? Or, is there a faster process if you're just making amends (in this instance, omitting the one window which prompted the overlooking concern).

Thanks[/i]

Sponsored Links
You can make amendments to the submitted scheme during the application period.

Objections will (or should be) looked at on their own merit and the officer will decide if it is a worthy objection not. If you have an agent who you have employed to oversee your application then they should be contacting the officer after say 3 weeks or thereabouts to gauge the officers opinion and then if any changes need to be made and you are in agreement the agent can submit the necessary amended drawings within the required timescale. Or that's the gist anyway.

If your application is rejected then you would get another opportunity to apply (free) although your agent would likely charge for a resubmission. But if you were my client I would be ensuring you got your application first time round so to me the resubmission for free is a moot point.

If you have an agent who you have employed to oversee your application then they should be contacting the officer after say 3 weeks or thereabouts to gauge the officers opinion and then if any changes need to be made and you are in agreement the agent can submit the necessary amended drawings within the required timescale.

OK: so what does one suggest if the agent rings the planning department several times and they keep being told that they are soooo busy they 'haven't had time to look at it yet'?

Then at the eleventh hour, agent gets a 'phone call from Planning which goes 'it's OK in principle but we need x,y and z amending. Can you resubmit plans by day after tomorrow?'

The awkward s*ds know that's impossible, so the stock response is 'withdraw the application and re-submit'.

Result? The council gets two applications for one and gets brownie points from DCLG for their 'prompt and efficient delivery of the planning service'. It's fraud, pure and simple.

OK: so what does one suggest if the agent rings the planning department several times and they keep being told that they are soooo busy they 'haven't had time to look at it yet'?

Then at the eleventh hour, agent gets a 'phone call from Planning saying 'it's OK [/i]but 'we need x,y and z amending - can you get the revised plans in by tomorrow?'

The awkward s*ds know that's impossible, so the stock answer is 'withdraw the application and submit a new one'

Result? Planning dept gets two applications for one, and gets praise from DCLG for dealing with soooo many applications, so promptly and efficiently; it's fraud, pure and simple.

Yep, heard that one before.

Last application I submitted the planning officer went on holiday for 2 weeks, then when he came back I was away. After several messages to call 4 weeks prior to the decision i tired to get him to extend in light of him not returning my calls and then sodding off for two week - he wasn't having any of it so we had to withdraw - he met his targets though!!!!

Sponsored Links
he met his targets though!!!!

Exactly; if someone withdraws an application because the officer gives no realistic time for amending, then - officially - they have dealt with the application efficiently. The revised application then goes through quickly, and they have - officially - dealt with yet another application with efficiency.

It's no wonder that most authorities seem ostensibly to be dealing with the vast majority of applications on time.

I have often thought that for small domestic extensions (which are by nature rarely complicated) that officers should be required to give a minimum period (say 14 days) for amendments.

If you have an agent who you have employed to oversee your application then they should be contacting the officer after say 3 weeks or thereabouts to gauge the officers opinion and then if any changes need to be made and you are in agreement the agent can submit the necessary amended drawings within the required timescale.

Then at the eleventh hour, agent gets a 'phone call from Planning which goes 'it's OK in principle but we need x,y and z amending. Can you resubmit plans by day after tomorrow?'

The awkward s*ds know that's impossible, so the stock response is 'withdraw the application and re-submit'.

Result? The council gets two applications for one and gets brownie points from DCLG for their 'prompt and efficient delivery of the planning service'. It's fraud, pure and simple.
I think my LA's down here (and I deal with about 6 on a regular basis) must just all be good, I have never had any of the kind of problems you seem to have with LA's. Its mystifying! Either that or your approach is all wrong.

Yep, heard that one before.

Last application I submitted the planning officer went on holiday for 2 weeks, then when he came back I was away. After several messages to call 4 weeks prior to the decision i tired to get him to extend in light of him not returning my calls and then sodding off for two week - he wasn't having any of it so we had to withdraw - he met his targets though!!!!
Maybe you should have used a technician to do your drawings and not a draftsman! :mrgreen:

Maybe you should have used a technician to do your drawings and not a draftsman! :mrgreen:

Touché!

I don't think that a technician would have had any other success with this particular planner or the customer for that matter.

This application was against what had been advised. The owner was adamant that he wanted a particular design and I told him that he didn't have a chance in it passing yet he pushed for it anyway. What happens? We withdraw.

My LA used to do a pre-app drop in service where you could just turn up and discuss your application prior to submission. They've stopped that now and it's a fee first application, usually with a full set of plans. Cut backs!

Its mystifying! Either that or your approach is all wrong.

Actually, I don't rub officer's backs up, on the basis that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

It's one particular authority, and it's not just myself who has twigged this.

They also allow householder-clients to pay the full (£90-odd) fee for discharge of conditions, while for domestics, this should only be £29. When this is pointed out to them, they say 'oh, sorry, we made a mistake'. But they do this all the time in the hope that people don't notice, and a lot don't.

As I said, it's fraud on the part of the council - nothing written down, of course.

double the application fees to pay for the resources required for the next bit.. and have applications with no solid refusal reasons automatically approve after 8 weeks. notification of refusal reasons automatically extends the deadline by 2 weeks to give the applicant time to respond to overcome them..

..kinda like those auction sites where a bid in the last hour of the listing runtime extends the end time by an hour if the winning bidder changes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back