What has caused this melt down??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day the water in one of our hot water tanks suddenly stopped heating, and on checking the immersion heater I discovered that the neutral cable on the feed had seemingly overheated to the point where it had 'broken' and the connection was no longer intact - as seen here (with the thermostat removed)
IMG_20150913_151707-th.JPG

I am looking for suggestions as to what could cause such overheating - our local electrician has suggested replacing the element and the thermostat as well as the timer as he thinks any one could be the cause - but I have my doubts.

Views please?

Sponsored Links
Poor connection that has became resistive and generated heat where the wire is held in the terminal.

Lose screw in the terminal holding the Neutral or corrosion of the wire and/or terminal are the most common causes.

The frayed ends of the wires that went to the thermostat suggest the installation was done to a poor standard.

If the thermostat had failed the water would either not heat or would over heat.

The timer could not cuase this burnt terminal.

If your "electrician" was the person who installed this then I suggest you find a real electrician.

Sadly, the person who usually installs immersion heaters are plumbers, not electricians.

Not that I'm pointing the finger at another group of tradespersons, you understand;), but your picture is rather common…...

Bernard/Taylor -
Thanks for your input, I am no electrician, but from my college days I did wonder about the connection being the culprit but it is nice to hear views from the experienced side.

Sadly, the person who usually installs immersion heaters are plumbers, not electricians.

Not that I'm pointing the finger at another group of tradespersons, you understand;), but your picture is rather common…...

You could be right - it may have been a plumber who did the installation - it was a while back so we can't remember.

If your "electrician" was the person who installed this then I suggest you find a real electrician.

A conclusion I think I already had started leaning toward :whistle: - even more so now.
He never even commented on the wire condition, which sort of confirms he's probably a baker disguised as a spark :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back