Melted wires in heater almost causes fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 months ago I bought a 1200w infrared panel heater for a relative. This was based on good experience with one I have had for 6 years. The manufacturer didn't sell in the UK anymore, so I picked another one somewhat at random with some research. Infrared heating in the UK doesn't seem widespread so it is quite hard to gauge information on them.

It was sold with a 13AMP plug and I also got a thermostat so it could be hard wired. I am generally competent with basic electrics but this was fitted by an electrician as a new circuit was wired to a secondary CU. The circuit has nothing else on it, protected by a 16AMP breaker and there is a 13AMP fused box which the thermostat runs off. On the same CU there is a separate lighting and socket circuit, this is fed off the main house CU.

For 5 months all seemed ok, but I found out the heater stopped working. The symptoms were that only the socket breaker had tripped and this also tripped the breaker at the main CU that the secondary CU is connected to, nothing was tripped on the heater circuit. On further examination, the cause was melted wires in the heater, the box where the mains enters and the wires are joined from the panels internal electrics. This could have caused a fire and left scorch marks on the wall, the box rests against it when the panel is wall hung.

Early on it became apparent the supplier has no clue about electrics, just being a reseller, and despite offering a panel replacement under warranty I doubt I will get any kind of analysis on the fault. I am getting a new panel soon but it is sticking in my mind what if there is an inherent design flaw or have I just got unlucky, or lucky as you may think.

I assumed the wires would be joined by terminal blocks not some thin rubber case with some undetermined method joining the wires together. Could poor wiring connections have caused arcing, perhaps which led to the wires overheating?

I just need some level of confidence before I connect the replacement panel or what others steps I can take.

Attachments

• IMG_20170128_154441587.jpg
    IMG_20170128_154441587.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 349
Sponsored Links
Do you have a link, model/make of the heater? If you do get another be sure to inspect it before getting it installed and periodically afterwards. It's kind of hard to get a perspective on the heater and what might of gone wrong. Do you have any pictures of the heater installed i.e. location/proximity to walls/ceiling etc.. and where about that box/wiring actually is on the heater.

If its one of those far-infrared heaters it could be that its needs to be installed in a very specific place and the room layout might of been a factor, or it might of just been faulty. How long was the heater being run for? Was this on a timer or 24h as/when it gets cold enough?

Sponsored Links
It is a FAR heater. It was bought from a internet only retailer. Despite asking, I don't know the manufacturer, other than its built in china but to 'german standards'. It seems to be sold by a few internet retailers. It was hung on a wall with no furniture near it or any obstructions. Its a 15ft x 9ft room with a bed and some small furniture in it. The thermostat controlled if it was on or off, but the room has a flat roof so with the cold weather, probably quite a lot it was on. The box is towards the bottom of the heater, you could theoretically hang the panel from any edge but it wouldnt make any sense to me to have the box anywhere but at the bottom so the wire runs downwards. its just a plain square white panel. Here is a link to what I believe is the same panel, although I didn't buy it from them. I don't want to publicly name where I got it from without established facts of the cause.

https://www.suryaheating.co.uk/glas...premium-frameless-infrared-heating-panel.html

I will be doing an inspection of the wiring joint quality, but I am tempted just to re-wire with terminal blocks inside the case then I can be sure it is a good connection. I know this will invalidate the warranty, but that is likely out of the picture anyway having already been replaced, despite what the law says against guarantees.

It is a FAR heater. It was bought from a internet only retailer. Despite asking, I don't know the manufacturer, other than its built in china but to 'german standards'.
Well - you have learnt a valuable lesson, and it hasn't cost you what it could so easily have done.

I am tempted just to re-wire with terminal blocks inside the case then I can be sure it is a good connection.
You should be tempted to put it in the skip, rather than giving it a second chance to kill you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back