what have I done?

Hi John1
I have cut back to the original cables in the back box
the prev owner had used crimping "bits" then extended the cable

In essence there shouldn't be anything wrong with what you've done. As everyone else has already pointed out, your first point of call should be to remove the socket front and inspect the wiring that's behind it. If you haven't been very careful when pushing the individual wires back into place, one could have become caught behind the accessory screws. This could result in the screw breaking through the plastic insulation to the inner copper core of the wire, causing a short circuit. If this has happened then it should be pretty easy to spot.

Sponsored Links
So the flex is gone and you have a metal box in the wall and a socket front screwed to it. What i suspect you have done is either trapped a wire against the metal back box or the earth bar along the back of the socket, or there is a loose wire that has fallen out when putting the socket front back or maybe you have connected the socket wrong?

If anyone has been useful here you can clock the 'thanks' button next to their post to make them happier :p :)

Sponsored Links
I am sooooo gr8ful to every one of you who have responded...
THank you sooooo much.

I will check the wires tomorrow when I go to the house.

I know I made certain that there was no insulation plastic obstructing the wires, but perhaps I have not ensured that the wires were "teisted" together enough???

please could one of you call me tomorrow??? I realy need to sort this out...
Being without water is one thing (that's turned off because I have no kitchen or bathroom - but do have pipe stoppers - and the old boy of 91 next door (bless him) offered to put some water in my kettle but without sockets it's a lonly old place and I can't even 'isten to the radio :(

how do I pm my number?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back