What Hedge Cutter ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I have to purchase a replacement Hedge Cutter, looking at my selection what do you rate the best and ones to leave alone ?

Cheap ! MTD MT55 B 55cm Cutter

Honda HHH 25D 690 cutter
Tanaka THT 2100SB 22 inch cutter
Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter
Efco TG2650XP 24 inch cutter
Ryobi RHT 2660 DR G4 60cm cutter

Sponsored Links
Bosch AHS 7000 Pro-T in my opinion, at least it does what I want.. 70cm blade and the wide sweep means straighter hedges. But it'll cost you the best part of 150 notes.

Stihl, Honda then Efco for me.....not MTD or the Ryobi.
Husqvarna are excellent too.
Which ever machine you choose, get the correct gearbox grease to go with it!
John :)

Stihl, Honda then Efco for me.....not MTD or the Ryobi.
Husqvarna are excellent too.
Which ever machine you choose, get the correct gearbox grease to go with it!

The Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter, is described as a lightweight model, what do you think of this one ?

Sponsored Links
Should have said.

Have 200 feet hawthorn and 80 feet conifer 6 feet heigh hedge to cut/trim.
So cutter will get some work.

Honda, Tanaka, Stihl, Husqvarna, all good makes!!
Can't comment on any of the specific models but the things to compare are power, weight, length of bar and price.

The one I have is a 30" Tanaka

The HS24 is a grand machine, light and well balanced.
However, what you propose work wise is asking a lot from any machine.
Have you considered an extended reach cutter (great for the leylandii) or one of the 'add-on' systems from Stihl which uses one power head and several attachments?
I appreciate the expense is going upwards somewhat but pro machines have a 2 year private use warranty which means they will stand up to the work.

The HS24 is a grand machine, light and well balanced.
However, what you propose work wise is asking a lot from any machine.
Have you considered an extended reach cutter (great for the leylandii) or one of the 'add-on' systems from Stihl which uses one power head and several attachments?
I appreciate the expense is going upwards somewhat but pro machines have a 2 year private use warranty which means they will stand up to the work.

It's going to be Honda HHH 25D 690 cutter or

Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter

Never had a 4 stroke cutter re- Honda HHH 25D, will try and have a look at one of these first

The days of the two stroke engine are numbered now, and the big manufacturers have their own solutions.
Honda use a genuine 4 stroke engine with a wet sump (but no pump) whilst Stihl use their 4-mix engine, which is a 4 stroke engine but no wet sump......you still use 50:1 oil mix (synthetic) and its a total loss system and that takes care of the lubrication.
Try both machines and compare for weight and balance, warranty and price.

Made up my mind after holding both cutters, have ordered a Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter
Looks better made than my old Homelite and Jonsered

THanks all for your help.
john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back