Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter hard to start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stihl HS 45 24 inch cutter

Just got a new one of these and if I follow the manual starting instructions it floods !

It's has Stitl oil 50-1 mix, if you have one of these whats your way of starting machine.

I have two others of different makes and have never had problem starting these.

Sponsored Links
Don't overdo the priming, and there's nothing to stop you trying to start without choke first....
Anyway, I would prime until fuel is visible in the bulb, then choke on and full throttle. Pull the starter briskly until the engine fires once. Then, choke off, keep the throttle on full and the machine should start next pull.
Full throttle is really the answer on two strokes!
John :)

Thanks John . :D I thought you would be along and solve another problem for me.
John

Start my Makita saw the same as this and it works every time unless it's been sat ages, then a few more pulls are needed but it still starts.

Sponsored Links
Might that be one of the DPC6000 series, RF?
Excellent bit of kit with one of the best air filtering systems there is.
All of them need a bit of cranking if they have stood for a bit - they have to pump the fuel up from the tank.
It makes me wonder how these machines keep going, considering the conditions they work in!

Yep that's the one. Had it about 5 years now and it's never missed a beat. I've cleaned the air filter and spark plug once and that's all it's ever had apart from an odd blade but even they seem to last ages.

If you ever need an air filter set (3 pieces), consider GHS Limited......very good value for pattern parts, and they are good. I've fitted their piston and barrel kits too, with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back