What is a condensing extractor fan? Engineer recommends use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, I have condensation issues on the bathroom on the top floor. I have been advised that it's hard to drill a hole in the wall, since the bathroom is on the 3rd floor and they would need a v high ladder. So, they advised I get a condensing extractor fan installed. What is that? Does it work as well as conventional?

Also, I suppose it is possible to drill a hole for the extractor fan from inside the house, instead of getting a ladder and doing it from outside, however, I was wondering what is the best way of avoiding unsightly gaps/holes from the outside? Is there a way I can cover the pipe/hole without getting on a ladder outside the house? Perhaps some kind of shield I could put on the pipe before pushing it through the hole that has been drilled. Know what I mean?

Sponsored Links
I presume he means a fan with a humidity stat which basically operates when it detects humidity at a certain level which you can set and adjust yourself.

I have one fitted and it seems to work well :)

I have seen them and they vent out like a tumble dryer with it going out of the wall. :D

Sponsored Links
Fit from the inside, with heat recovery and available with humidistat: http://www.vent-axia.com/products/vacas/hr25.asp

So you can drill a hole from inside the house, and you wont have to get on a ladder for 3 stories to stick an airvent on?

Also, is it a question of sticking an airvent on with sealant or do they have to be drilled into place? If it something that can be slapped on. that makes things a lot easier.

hey you can drill from the inside but the dust would be 'lots'.. my outside facia was put on with silicone and its lasted to date

Fit from the inside, with heat recovery and available with humidistat: http://www.vent-axia.com/products/vacas/hr25.asp

So you can drill a hole from inside the house, and you wont have to get on a ladder for 3 stories to stick an airvent on?

Also, is it a question of sticking an airvent on with sealant or do they have to be drilled into place? If it something that can be slapped on. that makes things a lot easier.

Installation instructions (link within the link) show that the unit is a push fit from the inside and a finned seal takes care of weather proofing. There's an external bezel supplied which can be fitted for neatness 'if required' so it appears to be optional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back