What is best to fire protect old floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I believe that gappy old floorboards should be overlaid for fire and smoke resistance.
The guidance I have read specifies 4mm or thicker high density hardboard fixed at 150mn centres.

I can only buy high density hardboard in 3 or 3.2 mm.

I can get mdf in 4 mm
I can get plywood in 5.5mm

Would you think that ply would be better?

I guess I can double up the hardboard giving around 6mm thickness but it seems very laborious with so many fixings and cutting.

Has anyone got any knowledge of this please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's a flat, I am trying to achieve 30 minutes fire protection

No, it's an old conversion, I just noticed the floorboards have gaps and thought it would be better to board over them to reduce any smoke coming through in the event of a fire.

How much sealant though? Might be less work to use a sheet material than filling hundreds of holes.
Can you afford to lose the height [eg taking bottoms off doors]?

It's mainly boards that look like they have been lifted to fit electrics, so not a huge amount.
No one has said I need it, I just want to improve things.

I just can't see how it'll be necessary or an improvement - it would generally be the job of a continuous plaster layer in the burning room below that would stop smoke coming into an upper room, plus the underlay and carpet etc but if you're leaving the flooring on show and it looks tatty you could fill it

Can't help but think that any property that is the subject of a set of improvement works in this country would have plenty of other things that could be attended to with greater priority, but if it's getting on for the last thing on the list and is bugging you then go for whatever looks good and is good value

Thanks for your help, yes there's a long list I will be working through for years probably.

it would generally be the job of a continuous plaster layer in the burning room below that would stop smoke coming into an upper room
From the OPs point of view, that's someone else's responsibility. I can understand why he would want to wear braces when it's someone else's job to put on the belt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back