What is causing these ceiling cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening Everyone,

I moved into my current house 2 years ago and have recently noticed some cracks in the kitchen ceiling. ( I think the previous owner had these touched up as they were not visible when I moved in.) I think these have worsened recently.

I am planning to fill the cracks this week with "Red Devil" from Toolstation as I have read some good reviews.

Before I cover the cracks I wanted to make sure they were nothing more sinister. They run almost entirely around the kitchen ceiling which is part "flat roof" - a very cheap 1980s extension - where the rear wall was knocked through. Are the cracks likely caused by a change in temperate or movement? Or poor construction? I just wanted to rule out structural issues really. Should they have re-appeared after being cosmetically covered 2 years ago?
image167.jpg

Any opinions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
This isn't an uncommon problem at the ceiling wall junction, and it's possible that the plasterer didn't tape the joint before plastering everything. It could be that they redid the joing every year or two, or as you suspect, just before they put the place up for sale, so it's lasted 2 years. Normally coving would be used to handle this problem.

Nothing sinister looking there. A bit of caulk and it's good for another few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back