What is causing this? Rising damp or salts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had our hall plastered about a year ago. Couple months later this mark appeared. This is an internal wall. I think it's salt trapped in wall, would I have to get replastered or is there anything I can do. Thanks

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180322_112514.jpg
    MVIMG_20180322_112514.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 574
Sponsored Links
ask the mods to transfer this to the building forum.

basicly yes you will have to hack off to one metre highback to brick and render back up with a sand and lime render.remove the skirting and examine it for rot.
is that a suspended floor or a solid floor?whats on the other side of the wall?is there a chimney breast nearby?

The property is around 100 years old. It's a Victorian terrace. The other side of the wall is the dining room, it has a radiator on it, no chimney breast nearby. The floor is suspended. Some air vents were blocked which I have now cleared, which I suspect havent helped.

Many thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
examine the floor boards near the wall.if you can, go under the floor and examine the joist ends where they sit in any wall. look for wet rot.
that doesnt look like a ventilation problem more like rising damp or a leak from a rad pipe.good through ventilation is a good idea though

Due to the age of the property some of the walls had hairline cracks and artex on the ceilings, so for cosmetic purposes thought it would be best to plaster the whole hall/ landing.

Follow Bobs suggestion, and lift the floorboards. The wall looks wet enough to suggest a water leak - are there CH pipe under there, and has the system been losing pressure.

Thanks both very helpful.

It doesn't feel wet and the skirting isn't wet (I think the picture makes it look a little darker than it is). I will check the joist ends tomorrow.

Is there any chance it could be trapped salt in the walls drawing out the moisture? As it does have a white ring mark on the outerside of the patches.

More than possible, but it's also rising from the floor, so can go either way. It'll still need redoing though.

I would suspect leak from heating pipework, or possible mains as it usually enters property under hall ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back