what is dot and dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to tile my bathroom. The current walls are plaster. Having read several posts on here, I have learned that;

1, Waterproof grout isn't waterproof.
2, Plaster will crumble in a shower even if it is tiled.
3, Shower areas should be tanked with aquapanel before tiling.
4, Aquapanel should be applied by dot and dab.

Please tell me if I misunderstood any of the above, and please tell me what dot and dab is and how to do it.

Sponsored Links
1, Waterproof grout isn't waterproof.

It is resistant to damage by water but does not provide a waterproof barrier

2, Plaster will crumble in a shower even if it is tiled.

Yes but you can tank the plaster thereby providing a waterproof barrier between tile & plaster.

3, Shower areas should be tanked with aquapanel before tiling.

Aquapanel does not tank the shower, it is a board that is resistant to the effects of water but will still let water pass through it. It is however best to use aquapane, wedi board, Hardibacker etc to construct your walls from.

Tanking is the application of a waterproof barrier to the wall prior to tiling

4, Aquapanel should be applied by dot and dab.

Screw it to stud walls dab it onto brick/block with rapidset tile adhesive and screw when adhesive is dry

Please tell me if I misunderstood any of the above, and please tell me what dot and dab is and how to do it

Dot and dab is seldon used, most board is now fixed with just dabs, which are "blobs" of adhesive spaced at approx 300mm cts that the board is pushed onto and leveled/plumbed.

Jason

If the plaster is sound, remove any old loose paint, tiles and tile adhesive then apply a tanking system, I tend to use the BAL WP1 kits as they contain all you need.

Have a look at page 11 of 21

Jason

Sponsored Links
Topps Tiles are a distributor of BAL stuff including WP1 (£69.99). It's probably closer to £50 if you search around mail order sites though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back