what is good work area lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a work area at home size 20 feet x 10 feet with no natural light and am struggling to find lighting that suits me. I hate having no daylight and currently have two thin 6ft strip lights down the middle ie twin fitting. I've tried daylight bulbs but they make the area seem unnaturally bright whereas standard tubes seem gloomy. Theres no diffuser on the lights btw

Whats the best way of lighting this area to make me feel as comfortable as possible whilst providing adequate light. I'm not too worried about fittings cost or running costs - I want the most effective soloution.

At my workshop I have overhead skylights that run 40 foot the length of the building and never have the lights on unless its nightime and this is the sort of conditions I like best. I'm struggling to replicate these conditions at home and thought daylight bulbs would be the answer but they are bleeding orrible!

Should I be going for diffusers over the exsiting lights? lots of downlighters or spots?

Sponsored Links
Add some more strip lights, it is plain to see (excuse the pun) that the double tubes down the middle of the room are not enough.

its not the fact that the area isnt lit enough, its that its the wrong type of light if that makes sense. The daylight tubes light the whole thing up like a summers day - almost too bright....

What are you doing and what sort of illuminance levels are you after?
It's little hard to suggest posible solution, without knowing what function the lights will serve and what you feel comfortable with.

Sponsored Links
I have a work area at home size 20 feet x 10 feet with no natural light and am struggling to find lighting that suits me. I hate having no daylight and currently have two thin 6ft strip lights down the middle ie twin fitting. I've tried daylight bulbs but they make the area seem unnaturally bright whereas standard tubes seem gloomy. Theres no diffuser on the lights btw

Whats the best way of lighting this area to make me feel as comfortable as possible whilst providing adequate light. I'm not too worried about fittings cost or running costs - I want the most effective soloution.

At my workshop I have overhead skylights that run 40 foot the length of the building and never have the lights on unless its nightime and this is the sort of conditions I like best. I'm struggling to replicate these conditions at home and thought daylight bulbs would be the answer but they are bleeding orrible!

Should I be going for diffusers over the exsiting lights? lots of downlighters or spots?

http://www.ledrise.com/shop_content.php?coID=18

Good table in there.

Are you watch making or doing carpentry? It makes a difference.

Want to do some calcs? Relux suite is the way ahead and free raytracing software. I used it to design my living room lighting and the images it generates are VERY accurate.

blimey that looks technical :) I do carpentry type work but obviously if I need close up light for detailed stuff I can use a spot etc. Its more a case of making the working enviroment such that it is more pleasant to work in. I not sure whats causing the problem if there is one though I did change one of the daylight tubes for a normal one and that seemed to cut down the excessive and harsh brightness a bit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back