Fluorescent ceiling light in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a fluorescent ceiling kitchen light. The existing light has a central access point for the wiring in the baton so this can fed straight into the baton. The new light has 2 access points but they are on the left and on the right. As a result, I am having difficulty running the wires between the baton and the ceiling to reach the left or right access points.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can get a 5ft light with diffuser that has a central access point for the wires?

2) If I have to use a light with a left or right access point for the wires, any suggestions as to how I can run the wires between the ceiling and the baton as this seems to prevent the baton sitting flush with the ceiling (although there are a few very small bumps on the back of the baton which gives a very small area of access for the wires, but not really enough).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If possible drill a hole in the new fitting with a suitable hss bit or step/cone drill. Use a rubber grommet to protect the cable.

The ones that usually say there in two parts, consist of a drillable backplate and the front clips on, we get ours from REXEL

My thoughts exactly. I've had to take a holesaw to quite a few replacement striplights recently. Just make sure noting is in the way inside, and fit a grommet to protect the cables from sharp edges.

E2A: I've been using the Viper HF series from TLC-Direct, and the ballasts are far enough off centre to allow drilling.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks ktuludays.
Unfortunately the control gear (if that's the right name) is attached to the inside centre of the baton, so I can't drill through the centre. I was thinking about putting a couple of spacers/rubber washers when attaching the baton to the ceiling, but conscious this would then make the baton not flush to the ceiling which I think would not look so good. Also the wires may then be slightly visible.

Is it possible to move the position of the cable exit from the ceiling to where you can take them directly into the new fitting ?
A lot depends on how much slack there is - but if there's enough, making a new hole and doing some fishing should do it.

The control gear is usually just a Driver, you can sometimes undo it and move it along out of the way

Thanks for the suggestions, all very helpful. I'm not keen to make a new hole in the ceiling...it's not my house so trying for minimal disruption.

At least, it seems, I am not missing an obviously simple solution, which is reassuring, so really appreciate all the feedback.

Think I will shop round a bit more tomorrow to see if I can find another light with a central access for the cables, or at least a light where I can add a central access for the cables.

I think it seems clear that there really isn't room to run the cable between the underside of the baton and the ceiling as it just will not allow the baton to fit flush to the ceiling.

Many thanks again, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back