What Is It ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone identify this wood for me ? I am looking to use it on a staircase as treads if possible.

Attachments

• WP_20190501_001.jpg
    WP_20190501_001.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Needs much closer pic, poss bark side too.

The spalting is no indication of species, other than some timbers are more prone than others.

Given the small size, it could be any timber, including non commercial species like a garden fell.

Beech, silver birch, fruit trees and others are prone to spalting.

Im not sure it would be strong enough for a tread......

Spalted something as others have said - I'll hazard a guess given it's pale colour otherwise as maple (could also be beech) but it's impossible to tell from that photo.

If you post a few good pics on https://www.woodtalkonline.com/ including one of cleaned up end grain you will probably get a fairly definitive answer.

Sponsored Links
Spalted timbers can be far weaker than non-spalted timbers but there is no way to gauge whether or not they will fail under load (the veins are actually rotted timber and therefore weak points). I have seen spalted beech explode a few times on the lathe when being turned and in the UK the most commonly seen spalted logs seem to be beech. The spores contained within the timbers are also potentially harmful and can cause respiritory distress when sanded, sawn or planed. For those reasons I'd avoid like the plague in this application

Instead there are some superb home-grown feature timbers which may be suitable such as olive ash, brown ash, tiger oak (stripey), pippy oak, quilted sycamore, birds eye maple (not seen much in the UK - mainly imported but some hose grown id seen from time to time), lacewood plane, walnut, yew, etc to name a few

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information JobandKnock. That is a bit of old timber I picked up in a wood yard literally. A tree surgeon used to sell all sorts of wood there, as they stood, so you got some free and some bargains. I will not be using it or anything like it now .

I have now decided the treads are going to be different woods as you have listed, waney edge bark and 3.5cm thick so that you will see the wood rather than just walk on it. They will rest on two steel stringers behind the wood treads. The problem is getting hold of it. Yew is going for £80 a metre for that thickness and 25 cm width plus I have never seen most of your list even offered on the ebay market

I have planks of Yew, Elm, Ash and Oak but will keep searching for others. I need another 8 !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back