What is justifiable labour to replace a shower enclosure ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower enclosure that has been identified as the cause of a leak due to age/wear/fitting etc.

How much would a reasonable and competent person charge to replace a 900x900 quadrant, removing old excess sealant and re-sealing as necessary (no work needed to walls, tray or plumbing) ?

How long would a reasonable and competent person take to compete the task?

In case it matters, the job is in north-east Surrey.

Thanks for any input, it will help me to ensure quotes I get are reasonable.

Sponsored Links
If enclosure only, I would expect a days wages and what ever materials I use, even though it may not take the full day, I would doubt I would be able to get another job in on that day.

So labour prices do differ between regions, I would take a punt on £12.00 worth of sealant and £150.00 for labour.

Prenticeboy is cheap, I'd be charging £280+vat for a day's labour and that's probably much closer to what you'll be paying in Surrey

Sponsored Links
Sixpence ha'penny and a packet of chocolate hobnobs..

I'm winning the race to the bottom so far...

When did this site divert to moneysupermarket.Klunt.UK?

My government issued bit of string is in for calibration so I can't be a7sed to reply. :evil:

Whatever it may be, it should be a
days labour inc tax,n.i & pension contributions,
plus materials
plus company charge to cover getting to you, talking to you, quoting you and making a profit.

Prentice boy is quoting Sussex wages ;)

Maybe I should also have quoted for local B&B, travel expenses and travelling time?

It's a days wage (in Surrey) plus a few quid for sealant, assuming the customer is disposing of the old enclosure.

The only real way to find out how much it will cost, is by have three quotes for the job from local reliable tradespersons.

you wont get far if you keep only charging enough to cover wages, how will you pay for your

van
van insurance
van maintenance (servicing, tyres, break pads, mot, ect)
diesel
tools
public liability insurance,
office equipment and sundries
general sundries
admin time
quoting time
ongoing training and improvement
plus a countless other business overheads

and then after ll that cameron wants his cut/

I worked out it costs me around £70 a day to run the business whether i work or not so that leaves £80 less tax so £64 less n.i contribution so your looking at under £8 an hour for your £150 a day.

Might as well get a job stacking shelves in tesco for that sort of money.

Problem is too many untrained handy men doing the plumbing work these days.

Trades gone to the dogs

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the interesting and entertaining replies :LOL:

My gut was that it should be around £250 which would be around £35 an hour for a seven hour day. I think the comments back that up, would you agree?

I asked because I've been quoted more than double that (over £600) and I think it's a tad excessive for the work involved.

Thanks for chipping in...

Sounds as if you want the vertical panels replaced.

I would say about £200-£300 as typical.

Many would do it quite quickly and perhaps in four hours.

But then we have not seen it and you may expect the whole shower all cleaned to a new standard.

Tony

Sounds as if you want the vertical panels replaced.

I would say about £200-£300 as typical.

Many would do it quite quickly and perhaps in four hours.

But then we have not seen it and you may expect the whole shower all cleaned to a new standard.

Tony

that was my thinking in that I usually do them in about five hours. But, some surrounds are easier to fit than others. It depends on how well it is made and the quality of the screws and fixings.

This chap claims that it is a two-man job hence the quote. Would that be reasonable - two people for a whole day? Seems a bit rich to me...

Yes. Tbh it should in theory, be a two man job because the screens are sometimes heavy and difficult to get into place. But I normally work on my own. I know I havn't seen the site but personally I think £600 is excessive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back