What is my boiler doing? Please Watch Video

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this after it ignites:-
(Not everytime on ignition but you can certainly hear it when it's doing it.)

[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHwwv06d9Q

You are seeing the burner through the sight glass, It's an Ideal Classic RS40, Serviced just last week.

I think its trying to talk to me, any ideas what happening :?:

Sponsored Links
Does this after it ignites:-
(Not everytime on ignition but you can certainly hear it when it's doing it.)

[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHwwv06d9Q

You are seeing the burner through the sight glass, It's an Ideal Classic RS40, Serviced just last week.

I think its trying to talk to me, any ideas what happening :?:

its saying I have flame lift,stop using me and call in a RGI
there could be a few causes, you need expert help

Matt

Sponsored Links
They look after your world - shame they can`t do the same to boilers :rolleyes:

When British gas serviced your boiler, did they open it up and do things inside the case?

Tony

Yes Tony,

In summary from what I could see,
Took of case, took main out burner, cleaned with a brush and blew though it, Took off hood above heat exchanger took out long metal plates and cleaned downwards with a long hacksaw blade. Quite a bit of rubbish fell out. reassembled then checked gas pressure and tested CO output in flue.

(read with slight annoying cockney gruff voice) Get em back, POC getting into air inlet side of flue by looks of things, surprised FGA didn't pick up problem, (because it's your money)

Really appreciate the comments from the knowledgeable forum folks here :!:

BG are coming back tomorrow, sods law says as it doesn't do it every time it ignites it probably won't do it for the BG engineer.

Had a look in the service man for the RS40 I am far from knowledgeable in this area, I am worried that as it is intermittent that it could be the gas valve on its way out or something with the injector side of things, incidently what does the air box do? - as you can see I have a bad case of the too much information available and not enough knowledge :rolleyes:

Not got the Installation/service instructions, so not sure what you are calling the "air box", but a basic balanced flue has an air intake the outer part of the flue, and the smaller inner duct is the flue outlet, the flame lift in your video "looks like" the inlet air is mixing with the flue outlet gases, but could be other things,a decent RGI should be able to sort it.

Let us know what Mr urwurld comes up with.

Engineer came out today and typically it didn't play up for him so glad I took the video. I pointed out the comments about POC in the flue but he says there are no holes or blockages, washed out the burner and checked gas pressure / gas consumption. To be fair with the strong winds today blowing the pilot about, there was never going to be a lack of air for the flames. He's tightened everything up and it's left as a if it happens again get em back, can't say fairer than that.

So being fairly mild it's not been on much since the engineer left I have put it back on timer but I am trying to keep away from it, the flame lift has certainly knocked my confidence in the RS40, it's 13 years old, I have only owned it for 5 months of that time so don't know it's history. I have asked BG to come round to quote me for a replacement boiler, If I did change it I would probably sway toward a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri, trying to keep with a "regular" boiler theme to keep the work to a minimum, you never know the quote may be the reassurance I need in the old RS40:!:

On a side note, is the greenstar more tolerant to wind down its flue? the RS40 has had its pilot blown out in strong wind before.

I've only come across this once on a classic. I handed it over to Ideal.

Turned out to be a faulty pcb.

Sorry to push this one out again but I feel I need to give this one last attempt...

Any further suggestions to the flame lift cause (gas valve, meter, governor, neighboring properties demand?)

Okay so "flame lift" is a air to gas related problem which points to the flue but two BG engineers have checked the flue inside to out and I had a look myself from outside and it doesn't appear to be perforated or blocked and appears to interlock correctly.

I'm still gathering quotes on a replacement boiler and like most people I don't have the funds to spare on a replacement boiler and could use the money elsewhere then on top I worry "what if the fault was with the supply to the boiler?" my gas meter is conveniently on the opposite side of the house to the boiler and the 15mm supply goes under a concrete floor so as I'm told without re-piping in 22mm I can never have a combi or a bigger boiler which in reality shouldn't be a problem as with the greenstar 12ri I'm keeping with a regular boiler of equiv size but makes me wonder....

So I currently run the classic manually for hot water and heating when required so that it only fires when I'm in the house. I can pretty much guarantee it does its "flame lift" after about 30 seconds of being ignited this occurs 9/10 times and usually after being off for a longish period so its cold, it flame lifts on and off for a period of about 4 - 5 minutes and then runs fairly normally sometimes quite noisy when burning but you don't see the Mexican wave you get when it first starts. BG have confirmed the gas pressure / gas consumption is correct to the model but why does it have these episodes at start up and then settle down?

Could the honeywell V4600E gas valve on the boiler or the governor on the gas meter be misbehaving and pushing out too mush gas?

I'm clutching at straws here but I can stretch to straws!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back