What is the best kind of paint stripper for woodwork?

Maz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i am starting to strip our woodwork. The only reason I am acutally doing this is because there are 10 million layers of paint (okay 7) and the top one is a weirdy plasticy paint that look awful and has bubbled off in some parts.

We got a random paint stripper out fo B&Q (can't remember the brand, blue tin thing with red lid and yellow writing) it is taking the layers off basically about one at a time even though it says it does up to six layers. This means it is going to be expensive and even timeconsuming.

SO - my question is, is there any really good brands of paint stripper that anyone can recommend to make my life easier or should I just accept that it will be a even slower and more painful process than I thought??

thank you

maz

Sponsored Links
Nitromors is the gear, but watch out for cuts is it stings like a B***H if you get it in them. I use the green tin stuff but it stinks and it can't be that good for the world!!!!!!!!

Thanks CG, have just googled it and it looks great. did you use the old kind or the leave on for 24 hours kind? and does it really work on layers and layers? I am just imagining leaving it on for 24 hours to find out half a layer has come off:(

I used the green can stuff, and it does work well. Put it this way I put the used cap with a paintbrush on my window sill outside the kitchen - forgot about it and the next day the 10 layers of thick paint just can right off in my hand. Now have to repaint entire window!!!!!

Sponsored Links
[ut a couple of decent coats on...then add another but stipple it this will lift some of the existing paint and allow the stripper to get to the coats below easier.

use marigolds

Make sure you rinse it well with warm water and detergent and dont breath the steam in.

buy a pair of saftey glasses too..if you think it burns on your skin then wait til you get a bit in the eye!

if you can, try wrapping areas in tin foil overnight that keeps the stuff from going off and the heat it generates helps it strip faster.

Personally I prefer a heat gun whenever possible. Less mess and more fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back