What is the depth of a standard cavity in a cavity wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am trying to measure where I can drill from the loft so that I can feed a co-ax cable down the space between the plasterboard and the blockwork. I have a reference point in the loft as the coax from the outside aerial enters the loft from the gable end.

I know the bricks are 100mm deep. What I need to know is what depth is the cavity and the blockwork. If I can find the total measurement of bricks + cavity + blockwork, I can roughly get a distance from the total width to where the aerial cable enters the house on the outside. Then when in the loft, I can measure back from the cable entry. This hopefully will give me a point to drill. Hoping to then feed a coax cable down the hole between the plasterboard and the blockwork.

I had a look in the loft and the plasterboard ceiling butts up to a header plate (approx 4" wide). Will this be somewhere close to the point I need to drill?

I am trying to cause as little damage as possible to the bedroom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Chances are that the cavity is 100mm, and internal block 100mm. This is not definite though. You could measure the thickness at the reveals.

Sponsored Links
Chances are that the cavity is 100mm, and internal block 100mm. This is not definite though. You could measure the thickness at the reveals.

Thanks Stuart.
I always have to find the most difficult route at times! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back