What is the gap running up side of house brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just been to view a house for my parents and came across something I have not seen before. On the two external side walls, there is a break in the brickwork and a line of brown sealant running from the damp course up to the roofline. There are two of these lines one near the front of the house and one near the back. It looks like somebody has run an angle grinder from the top of the damp course right up to the roofline and then filled this with thick brown silicon. I would be really grateful if anybody could tell me what this is for and whether this should actually be like this. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Movement joint.

Hi and thanks for coming back. Does this mean that there has been a problem, subsidence or something. I noticed that the property next door also has these. I think the property is timber framed so maybe this is common with timber frames? My property does not have these but has brick cavity walls. Thanks again.

Movement joints are a standard element in construction, doesn't sound like anything to raise the old blood pressure.

Sponsored Links
TanDiy, Hi.

As stated above these vertical gaps are there because they have been "designed in" and are not the result of anything happening to the property after the property was built.

If the Gable did not have these Expansion / Contraction joints built I then there is a HUGE possibility that unwanted, un-controlled cracks will occur.

As a general rule of thumb an expansion joint should be built in at not more than 6 meters Centre to Centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back