Stains in chimney breast

G

Goldspoon

We have two rooms with old, sealed up fireplaces (there are air grates). Brown staining on plasterboard keeps coming through even after many attempts to repaint.

Chimneys have terracotta pots that are sealed on top (but have slits on sides).

Recently went on a Hetas course (3 day). Lecturer said that problem is almost impossible to stop (said it is damp and tar that is in the brickwork).

Has anybody else had/solved this problem?

Sponsored Links
You can try painting over it with several coats of neat PVA adhesive, covering an area at least 6" bigger than the stain. No promises, mind.

Has anybody else had/solved this problem?

Strip the plaster back to the brickwork, apply an sbr/cement slurry then sand/cement render and skim using appropriate admixture in the render.

Chimney flues built using bricks only, i.e. no clay liners, are particularly vulnerable to the exhaust gasses from 'dirty' fuels, i.e. oil, coal wood etc.

The masonry becomes saturated with tar and soot and in particular, hygroscopic salts, leading to brown staining and leaching.

That's a good post from Nosey.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for a great post noseall. For the past 10 years I've been painting the bedroom brown to cover the stains, but now I can change to magnolia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back