What is the heat loss from a well-insulated cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was able to find some figures for pipes, but not for a cylinder.

I am interested because until I get a new boiler, I am running on the immersion, and I notice the airing cupboard is unusually cool.

the cylinder is a foam-coated one but it has a red jacket on too. All the visible pipes are lagged with the thinner Climaflex. No doubt when the boiler is running there is some heat loss from the pump and uninsulated pipes under the floor.

Sponsored Links
I can only suggest you visit a cylinder manufacturers web site, as these details are usually in the tech specs I think.

Ref to BS 1566 part 1. Must be less than 1 W/litre, satisfied by 35mm thick factory applied coating with a minimum density of 30kg/m.

Sponsored Links
If you can put a thermocouple under the insulation, then record the rate the temperature drops, from the size of the cylinder you could work out the heat loss. The loss wouldn't be constant though as it will depend on the temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back