What is the purpose of this vent/pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We appear to have moisture/mould along some of our skirting in a bedroom . The property is a Bungalow so we are ground level and the bedroom runs along the outside wall where you see this pipe. As the ground has been dug up previously to insert this pipe I suspect there could be an ongoing problem. There is an inspection cover a few feet away from this. What would be the reason for the insertion of such a pipe? 20190623_195535.jpg 20190623_195514.jpg 20190623_195535.jpg 20190623_195514.jpg 20190623_195535.jpg 20190623_195514.jpg

Sponsored Links
the pipe looks like a rodding point or a redundant drain.
The mould if it was winter I would say just condensation from insufficient ventilation, but since it's summer it could be a leak or other water escaping. If you poke the skirting with a screwdriver is it soft all the way through? Is the floor timber and how about that? Also can you roll back the carpet etc and look underneath?

Sponsored Links
the pipe looks like a rodding point or a redundant drain.
The mould if it was winter I would say just condensation from insufficient ventilation, but since it's summer it could be a leak or other water escaping. If you poke the skirting with a screwdriver is it soft all the way through? Is the floor timber and how about that? Also can you roll back the carpet etc and look underneath?
Thank you. We have been here 2 yrs the skirtings are all new and are not soft (yet?). The floor base is concrete. I will endeavour to make further enquiries based on your info. Thank you

Yes the Bathroom/Toilet is the other side as is the Kitchen.

So the toilet position has been revised, the hole in the wall repaired and just that stub of pipe left sticking up?

You could lift the inspection cover, see what goes into it and if there is only that stub of pipe entering it, you could cement the pipe entry up and cut stub level and fill that with cement..

Have to wonder if as historically, there was a WC the other side of the wall, the supply to that is still present, and is leaking.

I think it unlikely that 110mm pipe is causing your issue, I'd leave well alone unless it's a trip hazard.

I think it unlikely that 110mm pipe is causing your issue, I'd leave well alone unless it's a trip hazard.

I would also suggest it being unlikely to be the cause of the damp issue. More likely is breakdown of the DPC in that area, or soil level above the DPC. I was just suggesting that if the pipe has no purpose, it could so easily be removed.

In fairness, DPC is visible in the pic, so bridging doesn't appear to be an issue, breakdown may be, but I'd be looking internally first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back