What is the World coming to?

It's classic double glazing sales technique from any of the nationals - Everest, Staybrite, Anglian etc

They turn up at your house and after looking at the car on the drive, the house, the area and a few questions about your job, they give you a random figure of £10k. Then if there is a hint of not accepting, that is reduced to £7k instantly, and then after a call to "the manager", your are told £3.5k - which still includes a healthy profit for them.

Now apart from any DG salesmen reading this, it is a common understanding that this is questionable selling and purely profiteering greed

There is a big difference to quantity discounts, or a % discount for a quick sale etc, to purely trying to screw as much as possible out of a customer

Sponsored Links
It's classic double glazing sales technique from any of the nationals - Everest, Staybrite, Anglian etc

They turn up at your house and after looking at the car on the drive, the house, the area and a few questions about your job, they give you a random figure of £10k. Then if there is a hint of not accepting, that is reduced to £7k instantly, and then after a call to "the manager", your are told £3.5k - which still includes a healthy profit for them.
Safestyle! I've never bought anything off a salesman who has come to my house, but on occasions I have invited them round for a quote - for comparison's sake.
Safestyle were one of the double glazing companies who were invited round a few years back to quote for windows and a door for the front facade of my property. A local company and Anglian had both quoted around £4500 (Anglian insisting that we advertised their work for six months).
I told the customer services rep that I wanted nothing more than a quote - although was braced for the hard sell. Saturday morning comes and the rep arrives and immediately enters into his well rehearsed patter. I tell him I'm not interested and just want the bottom line, but he mustn't deviate from his script and resolutely continues.
"We have the Premium Range. Features include ... ... ... . The premium range will today cost you £12500, but we offer a 55% discount so today sir, you get them for £5625." he imparts.
"Sorry, too much" I reply. "I've had two cheaper quotes".
"Yes sir" he continues, "but we've also got the Diamond Range, which is a better quality window, and at the moment they are on special offer."
"But they won't be cheaper than the Premium Range, will they?" I ask.
He doesn't answer, just continues on script. "The Diamond Range includes features such as ... ... ... , all on top of the many features you would get with the Premium Range. Usually sir these windows and door would cost you £16500, but you get the 55% discount so that's down to £7425. However, sir, if you sign today, we can do them for - taps randomly on calculator - £5150."
"Sorry, seems like a quality product, but significantly more than I've been quoted".
"Let me speak to my manager", he helpfully suggests. "May I use your telephone?".
"If you must", I reply.
"Yes", I overhear him saying. "I've got a figure of £5150, including the 55% and the special offer... He's interested, but it's a bit high... I know, fantastic deal... I know it's top quality... I told him that, won't get better quality anywhere else... OK, £4200, I'll see what he says".
The salesman returns. "I've spoken to my boss, and today only, we can do it for you for £4200".
"Thanks", I say "it's comparible with the other quotes I've had, but I need time to weigh them up and come to a considered decision. It would need to be significantly lower for me to sign today".
"Let me talk to my boss", he says.
At this point my other half can take no more and starts to get ready to leave to visit her mum. Knowing he needs both of us in order to make a sale he rushes back in. "£3400", he blurts out.
"Sorry", I say, as I kiss my girlfriend goodbye. "Need to take time to consider my options...needs to be lower for me to sign".
Our salesman sits down, dejected. He's losing us, and he knows it. The car door opens. He hears this and panics. "£2250" he screams, knowing this will make me sit up and take notice. "Deal", I reply. Just before my girlfriend leaves I tell her that this is a deal not to be missed and we should sign immediately. She obediently returns and we stand in front of a sheepish looking salesman and ask for the paperwork. "Ah", he says, "I just made that up to get you to come back. I've got to ring my boss for the real price now."
Now I'm generally an easy going, laid back kind of a guy, but he pushed me past my limit, and I politely told him to "get out of my house, before I throw you out."
My girlfriend leaves once again. I go to step back inside. From over the wall the salesman calls "My boss is on the phone. Will you talk to him?" I'm still thinking £2250 and take his mobile from him. "The best we can do is £3100" says the boss. "Well that's £850 more than I was just quoted so I'm not interested", I reply. "But it's a fantastic deal, you won't get a better one". "That's as maybe. You've messed me around. Why would I buy off you? Your salesman told us £2250 and went back on his word.". "But you said you weren't going to sign anything today." "How is that relevant FFS. I'll sign if the deal is good enough". "So are you interested in the deal at £3100?" "Maybe, but my girlfriend has gone now and I need her agreement". "Call her". "No, she's on the M25. I'll speak to her and if we are still interested we'll call back on Monday. Goodbye".

Anyway, we went with the local firm!

I'm puzzled, the OP priced for a job that he did'nt "really" want as he is very busy, but then complains when he does not get the job!!

Sponsored Links
I'm puzzled, the OP priced for a job that he did'nt "really" want as he is very busy, but then complains when he does not get the job!!
I don't think that's the case. He said he quoted slightly high, but was amazed when shown a quote for £300, far less than even the lowest quote that most people would give. The OP is asking how anyone could do the work for £300 when a sensible quote seems to be around four times that.

Yes XtraRaptor, I wasn't really complaining about not getting the job. It was really the £300 quotation, it kind of shocked me tbh. Just wanted to know if I'd missed something in the latest round of price cuts.

Good luck to the client, b'cos he's gonna need it I think.

In terms of my fee, I've had penty of criticism as u can see. It's just my way of doing things, but the way things are going (with another recession on the horizon) I'll be dropping my prices like everyone else I think.

No masona, the client was 100% going with the Sheffield architect. He was very ****ed off with me as he felt like (as compared to the £300 fee) I was trying to rip him off, not looking for a discount at all.....

'I don't want a gold plated extension you know' was his parting barb.

After that line he can f*ck off as far as I'm concerned, not interested in working with such a client tbh. I could easily discount 10-15% if a client is reasonable. But I guess he felt I wasn't being reasonable either.

If the guy had come back with a £700-800 quotation, for PD & Bldg Regs, then I can see how somebody would price it if they're looking for work.

How the guy can commute from Sheffield to Leeds a few times for survey & liason with client, produce drawings, printing costs, submissions, revisions etc etc for only £300 I'll never know.

How the guy can commute from Sheffield to Leeds a few times for survey & liason with client, produce drawings, printing costs, submissions, revisions etc etc for only £300 I'll never know.
I think you're find this will be the bare minimum then more added hidden costs by lying in the first place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back