What is this and how do i get rid of it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly finished my kitchen refurb but i cannot get my oven to sit close to the wall as this thing (pics attached) is protruding from the wall

Does anyone know what it is? And what is the safest way to remove it?

It is the thing that is in between the gas pipe and electrical wire

Is it gas related?

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_145708284.jpg
    IMG_20200525_145708284.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20200525_145719915.jpg
    IMG_20200525_145719915.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Gas supply.
A plumber could cap it inside the wall, but a hole would need to be made.
Just leave it there.

Is it gas related?
It is - could be redundant, it might be live , but you need a Gas Safe bod to do it. It could be plugged nearer the wall. NOT a diy job. Also Gas Safe could alter the copper gas pipe too if necessary.

Thanks for the comments guys

I am a bit annoyed as a gas safe guy recently created that gas supply that you see in the pic (on the left hand side).

I should have got the the gas supply (in the centre) removed at the time

It must go as i cannot get my oven to sit flush the surface of my oven base unit.

Is it a messy job to remove/cap? Any idea on cost?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments guys

I am a bit annoyed as a gas safe guy recently created that gas supply that you see in the pic (on the left hand side).

I should have got the the gas supply (in the centre) removed at the time

It must go as i cannot get my oven to sit flush the surface of my oven base unit.

Is it a messy job to remove/cap? Any idea on cost?
Easy job to do , sorry I never comment on cost , it is not what the site is for , say a total of 1 hours labour of who you choose and whatever they quote in materials

Easy job to do , sorry I never comment on cost , it is not what the site is for , say a total of 1 hours labour of who you choose and whatever they quote in materials
I understand.

What materials are needed?

If I have an idea, this will help me to not get taken for a ride

Is it okay to call it a 'gas point' or does it go by another name?

What is the 'recently created' gas supply to be used for? If you have Gas engineer returning to connect that up then they will be able to sort the other pipe out at the same time. Should be a standard fitting required to cap it in the wall, as said an easy enough job if already on site.

The new gas pipe has been left long so it can be cut to size when installed.
Surely nobody could guess where the hob connection would be without having it in place.
If the old supply doesn't interfere with the cabinet and oven, just leave it there never to be seen again.

It looks possibly as if it is black iron,that short piece of pipe could be unscrewed and a female plug fitted which means it would only stick out about 15mm,,same as new gas pipe..If copper it can be cut and capped nearer wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back