What is this attached to my central heating timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 40 year old oil fired central heating system, with a potterton timer, underneath which there is a white box with some sort of copper wired electrical device.

The timer is broken and I want to replace it, but before I do, I think I should find out what the component is.

I hope that there should be a picture if you go to this link

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/tcgales/myhomepage/photo.html

The question is, what is that bit?

Thanks

Tony G

Sponsored Links
It's a relay in a box. Homemade job, and a good idea. Don't chuck it, it is used to switch the load which otherwise gets switched by the programmer. Don't let any "professional" chuck it out either. If they try, they don't know what they're doing, despite what they might tell you.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of getting a Seimens timer. Will the wiring to the relay and timer be similar to the Potterton?

Thanks again,
:p
TG

Probably.

What about a timer for the hot water, and an optimising programmable thermostat. It will actually save you money. (Honeywell CM67)

Sponsored Links
i`ve done this myself, but used right sized enclosure to house relay.
The relay is switching the load or it is being used to stop feedback to keep heating and hot water seperate. Any digital or mechanical programmer will do the job as contacts only switching load of relay coil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back