What is this cable in my loft?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is old. It has 4 antennae in it, along with this weird thing - a cable runs from the eaves up to the bit of suspended wood, and that's it. What is it? Why?

The attached image does not show a lot. It's the horizontal piece of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_193953915[1].jpg
    IMG_20171022_193953915[1].jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 446
Sponsored Links
show us the end of the cable you have in mind.

next time I'm in the loft I'll take a torch!

Could have been a booster mounted there, which the previous owner took with them? Or a different type or ariel that they didn't want to leave. Nothing made of wood would have a serious electrical connection.

Sponsored Links
Collectively we could spend a bit of time speculating on this orphan cable, but when push comes to shove the chances are 99 out of 100 that it'll be old coax and sod all use in a digital era aerial distribution system. So, why waste the time?

The chances are with an older house that it's had several aerials installed as upgrades for the different service changes (405 Line, 625 Line, and possibly some scammy installs such as Colour and for Digital) and possibly for a new TV point. Whatver has happened, it's probably better to clear out all the redundant junk aerials and any old cable and start from fresh. Trying to re-use unsuitable gear is a false economy. Old pre-Digital coax isn't shielded well enough to cope with today's saturation from Wi-Fi, microwaves and other radio frequency interference.

coax cable comparison.jpg

Thanks. Not trying to re-use it, just curious as it does not look like it was put there for an aerial.

Here's a close up - the cable splits and runs along the hanging bit of wood.

Ba5Sy7qfsJN2TNuyUa-YHAuPurE3QQjQjL-YOBv_b5h_8ip01Tfug--eMoOZ71PuGQfa8rG53BrH_AlGqhrdRZfkAdZ4pVUdgD3I0mHAK3g5dPdFg6oUEHrJ-l78e3FfCZ5rjI-FVJzT1axaKu5-wiPalkEqOn6qriMDf4pwqjWCx-LCwk8-LD6xqvR8quwjwNtvJRfKrnvCntmaL_88KOp-kkrNUX8q-Qep0JoDu3ytVFZIpY__nTlQ9CktfnTFFEvYhzXV-yLBRV5LtYlZQsnDh3kHt43u3Ctu02T1UnGO4RJeCtcPY-YMSPl2YiZM4Eq_n_SIvjj7Y2VFqG-700-VtFX_dCVqjqE3_XAKKRgDQAY-qJXmVa6pBve4dMxKegwL8QAsDA5Y5NbmHj7T9L9UPS5FRxxbvvPin0aq3PM-EOVKx3k2aWmDZArmac5BrzTX0g1lOzdL1MxNR3sq-k_2pvF7F0dB4oCVnfcCAESULWWA0MZblzl9TLLXdmbAttkaIJikWM9_VqCD31QhCyz_HVBhij21rlMHjTOrmATD7tEIpvzlh-ZPULej96UfUbtDUFVEiZqBhkwXHhg1IiGJsEElAC_uPEjFGOHyAEM=w1537-h863-no

is it bolted on to what looks like copper busbar? I wonder if it's a homemade transmitter, or LW receiver.

Nozzle

Just looks like a bit of wood. no idea what the other end is attached to, goes into the eaves. Nothing visible on the roof. Might tug a bit harder and see ... but don't want to break anything!

You have some rusted bolts in there that look like they're attached to a brown bar (metal?) which is clipped to the wood. It looks like the cable attaches to one bolt and the other "cable" perhaps actually braid, connectors to the other bolt.

Nozzle

Oh, I see what you mean.
Hmmm.
The previous resident, who may well ahve been there since 1958 (newspaper in old iron trunk inj the loft, that is bigger than the loft hatch ...) was German, so maybe she hooked it up to listen to German radio? Is that possible?

Home made dipole aerial. Probably for an FM VHF receiver , could have been a transmitter but for a transmitting aerial I would have expected better insulation / assembly of the joints cable to rods. ( a short there could damage a transmitter )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back