How much weight will loft take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum's had her loft insulated with 170mm insulation over the current insulation but she didn't realise when she booked it that she wouldn't be able to use the loft for storage after.

So I'm looking to put in some beams to make a floor surface above the insulation.

2x 3600x50x150 pieces of wood running along each side of the space I'm flooring
10x 2000x50x100 pieces of wood sitting on the 2 above bits and screwed on to the roof trusses for stability
lots of bits of scrap chip/ply/conti board I have lying around to make the floor surface

My main concern is the extra weight I'm adding to the loft... that's a lot of wood, will the loft take it?

Sponsored Links
Most modern lofts have been designed for 0.25kN/m2 or 25kg per squ meter of storage loading.. chances are you'll be fine..

A loft can take the weight of:

Christmas deccies, halloween stuff, suitcases (also full of stuff), clothes the wife may be able to fit into one day, shoes she may fit into one day, the old wedding dress, photo albums, the kids' "first whatever", a bread-maker, Christmas presents, Summer stuff, Winter quilts, Winter coats, an old Christmas tree, some lousy games...etc etc :p

Probably amount to a metric tonne though the wife may say different.

Sponsored Links
True, when I think about the amount of stuff that came out of that loft I probbaly shouldn't worry... but then I'm putting that stuff back in there plus this amount of wood.

Anyways... the water tank is supported in just the same way as what I'm doing and that's got to be heavier than my Mum's christmas bits and hippo collection.

Thanks guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back