how much storage weight can a loft take

i always figure the loft tombers should be able to cope with 100kgs each....

cus that's how much i weigh and they put a loft hatch in and a ladder.

So as i've boarded it, which will spread the load, i reckon a loft should hold quite a weight...?

Mine full of junk, including a multi-gym.

Incidentally how much does a tank full of water weigh?

Sponsored Links
Depending on the age of the house most TRUSS style loft spaces are not designed for any extra load at all...

If your lucky you may find tacked or stamped onto the TRUSSES the load wieght, normally about 75KGs per truss... thats for the tiles + possible snow....

Your TRUSS structure doesnt have a floor area at all, and to be honest if youve boarded of the Tiny Thin Week TRUSS lower beams then your probably already at full load....

Too much stuff up thier can cause untold damage to the roof line, Cielings in rooms below, Flexing in Partition walls which can cause damage to electrical cable and water pipes....

It realy isnt worth doing.... not to mention that your house insurance wouldnt be valid if you had issues...

Do the job properly... think if someone was sleeping under your dodgy bodged loft space and the cieling came through..

So as i've boarded it, which will spread the load, i reckon a loft should hold quite a weight...?

the loft ladder is there for access to carry out maintenance such as fitting more insulation and electrical or plumbing instalations.

water tanks are normally fitted above supporting walls, or at least gain extra support when needed.

it would be foolish to advise people to put what they like up a loft, certainly not a multi-gym. exerting any impact as well as weight onto loft timbers is inviting trouble. :eek:

the loft ladder is there for access to carry out maintenance such as fitting more insulation and electrical or plumbing instalations.

water tanks are normally fitted above supporting walls, or at least gain extra support when needed.

it would be foolish to advise people to put what they like up a loft, certainly not a multi-gym. exerting any impact as well as weight onto loft timbers is inviting trouble. :eek:

Noseall, i wasn't advising that people should do as i have done (and if i misled anyone in that way, i apologise) - incidentally, my multigym is in bits, it's not being used (and will probably find it's way to my garage this weekend).

I suppose i was playing devil's advocate in my last post - loft hatch, ladder, readily available loft boards, and everyone you speak to has a loft full of junk, and you guys are saying that this could cause structural damage to the building - surely the original builders should nail a sign up just inside the loft warning home owners not to use it for storage?

Sponsored Links
Interesting debate, as i think this affects nearly every house owner, and we all like storage space.

Ive still not found any news / evidence of structural damged recorded from overloading a loft space. There must be people who have.

p.s.

my loft is FULL of my wifes junk. ;)

it is evenly spread over two masonry support walls though.

What a strange thread.
Just to clear this up once and for all, i invite you all round to my house to estimate how much weight there is up our loft.
More junk than Steptoes yard ( now theres a bit of nostalgia)
If my ceiling hasn't collapsed by now, nobodys will!! :D

No cheating by looking it up, where was Steptoes yard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back