how much storage weight can a loft take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just part boarded my loft, with 2.4x0.6m chip board flooring 18mm thick, got BnQ to cut em in half as they were a bit big, screwed down

My roof trusses are only 80mm ones and @ 600mm centres.

how much weight can i store up there, truss rafters seem teeny when compaired to the floor beams.

also as anyone heard of anyone who put too much in there loft and the house collapsed? or something

cheers
simon

Sponsored Links
Don't put anything heavy up there. The woodwork is designed to take the weight of the ceiling but not a lot else. If you store stuff that's heavy the ceiling will bow underneath over a period of time.

Don't put anything heavy up there. The woodwork is designed to take the weight of the ceiling but not a lot else. If you store stuff that's heavy the ceiling will bow underneath over a period of time.

i realise that much, anyone got a more specific answer

If you realise that much you should realise that you are asking a stupid question. Can we see the roof structure? Crystal ball anyone? Like I said the ceiling is DESIGNED to take the weight of the ceiling and not much else. er Hello!! Anyone home?

Sponsored Links
You would need a structual engineer to do calculations.
Just spread the load.

Just spread the load.

thanks DIYisfun, i know a SE so i will see what he thinks.

and thanks joe, for your stupids answer. (im sure more abuse will follow, sorry everyone else)

Just spread the load.

thanks DIYisfun, i know a SE so i will see what he thinks.

and thanks joe, for your stupids answer. (im sure more abuse will follow, sorry everyone else)

Where's the abuse? The roof system is designed to use the minimum of timber which is why it is scanty. Surely even you can work out that it is manufactured to tight tolerances - hence will carry little additional weight. :rolleyes:

You don't need any help. You didn't even need to post as your mate is a Structural Engineer! Why didn't you just give him a bell and ask him? (even though he'll give you the same answer I did)

actually he gave me the load per square foot a loft floor is designed for.
He explained how its designed to take into account for wind and snow loadings, point and UDL loads, so its 'designed' for alot more than just the ceiling
Which is more useful, if not for more than curiosity, than "anything too heavy" which everyone knows.

I asked a specific question, you gave a general answer, no need to get touchy if i asked anyone else for a more specific answer lol.

He's not much good. The wind and snow loading has nuffink to do with the bending moment of the ceiling cross members. So fill ya loft to your hearts content. (I've seen plenty of bendy ceilings in my time)

:LOL: just threw in the wind and snow load bit to see if you knew what you were on about.

Anyway ive decided to make my loft space part library and part training gym, will let you know how it goes.

:LOL: just threw in the wind and snow load bit to see if you knew what you were on about.

Anyway ive decided to make my loft space part library and part training gym, will let you know how it goes.

I think maybe should stick to 'light' reading material & maybe plastic dumbells. :LOL:

Worst loft i ever saw had every bit of a car in it apart from the shell, and i do mean every bit along with a motor bike in bits and all the other stuff you have in a loft the smell of petrol an oil was horrendous. tried to tell him loft timbers not designed for that shrugged his shoulders and said looks ok to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back