What is this item, (Pipe/Tube Cutter)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

I am not sure if this is in the right category of forum, so if not could the Moderators please post it in the appropriate forum.

I have come across the following item pictured, but am unsure exactly what it is.

I suspect some sort of Pipe/Tube Cutter, and if so, what sort/type of pipe etc?

There has been a suggestion it is for cutting scaffold tubes, but there is no way it will go through those.

You can see an 'L45' marking on the object although there was another marking that has all rubbed/rusted away.

Regards

Attachments

• Mystery_Object[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object[1].jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Mystery_Object_2[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object_2[1].jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Mystery_Object_3[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object_3[1].jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Mystery_Object_4[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object_4[1].jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Mystery_Object_5[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object_5[1].jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Mystery_Object_Handle[1].jpg
    Mystery_Object_Handle[1].jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 286
  • L45_Marking_on_Object[1].jpg
    L45_Marking_on_Object[1].jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Scaffold tubes are generally cut with either an angle grinder, Stihl saw (you can get metal cutting blades for them) or a recip saw. They have very thick steel walls. Those three replaced the ubiquitous hand powered hacksaw many decades ago. Never seen a scaffie cut a tube with a tool like that, ever

Your item looks very like the sectional cast iron pipe cutters that Record used to sell for cutting cast iron water pipe. The threaded bit with the turn buckle are used to increase the pressure on the cutters as the cut progresses

Ah, that could be it! I'd forgotten about salt glaze pipes which were once such big business (there were about 5 works within 6 or 7 miles of where we are)

Sponsored Links
John is right, cutter for pipes, Tighten the strap so that the discs are pressing hard against the pipe then a sharp but hard hit on the strap and the pipe will ( should ) be cut with a clean cut.

That’s right, but best to score through the glaze first!
Other items on display are a Record T bar sash cramp and a rat tail file, an old sheet of galvanised steel and whatever that plastic thing is on the left.
John :)

It's a link cutter. It's mainly used for cutting cast iron gas/water mains in situ.
You can add or remove links to make the chain longer or shorter depending on the size of the pipe.
It enables you to cut all the way round the pipe in confined spaces as only the chain has to pass under the pipe.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back