What is this lock called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what this type of lock is called?
They are from cupboards, circa 1950

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
It looks like a straight cupboard rimlock

(not a cut cupboard lock, which is fitted into a recess in the back of the door.)

Looking at the key yours is probably a warded tumbler lock (no levers) and is not remotely secure.

The pressed steel ones are usually very cheap and poor quality. The brass ones are usually a bit better.

If buying them for existing furniture, the most important measurement for you is the backset (distance from centre of keyhole to edge of door). The height and width of the case don't really matter.

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Cabinet-Locks/Cupboard-Door-Lock.html

You might find some New Old Stock "Union" ones on ebay, they used to make a wide range of decent little locks, including a 4-lever range that were very good.
https://www.uniononline.co.uk/en/si...cks/cabinet-locks/4146---lever-cupboard-lock/

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I don't care about security, I just want it to hold the door closed on what used to be the coal bunker/hot water cylinder cupboard just inside the back door. There is also one on the cupboard under the stairs door.
I don't need to change it, it's just that sometimes it's a wee bit fiddly to turn the key.

Sponsored Links
if you don't need security, a latch or bolt would save using a key, and be sturdier.

your old one probably has a pressed steel mechanism that is getting a bit frail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back