What is this next to my radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently took the cover off my radiator in the hallway and discovered the previous homeowner had left the house in a terrible state. I currently have thin wallpaper and wanted to add a layer of white paint on top to keep my hallway fresh. But I have discovered 2 issues. Please could you help me with what I could do?

There's 2 problems:
-1) there's a wierd patch next to wallpaper near the radiator pipesm My wallpepr is white but this patch is grey. Feels like plaster and it's brittle if I try to scrape it off.

2) when I removed the cover from the radiator I noticed it was stuck so tight to the wallpepr and glued on such that it took the wallpaper with it... So now I have a line and uneven surface. Is there any way of fixing this? Is there a way to sand or smooth down the uneven disjoint so that I can paint it all white and flush?

Many thanks.

I have attached the photos and close up zooms

Problem 1
IMG_20210721_003835.jpg

IMG_20210721_003716.jpg
IMG_20210721_003712.jpg

Problem 2
IMG_20210721_003730.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah I see.

So by the pipe is a load of filler and it's not been finished off, they've smashed through the wall to install the pipe rather than drill through it by looks of things.

The rad cover other than being crap, they don't let heat escape very well, looks to have been glued in place, really this should have a bracket o. The wall which the cover slides onto.

Ideally the rad needs removing so you can sand and fill as required, but you can still do it with the rad in situ.

Just get some sand paper and rub it smooth and relatively flat and paint it.

The paper (you sure it's paper and not just Paint) you can fill it where it's torn but this will cause you issues later on if you remove it.

For peace of mind I’d like to dig out the area where the pipe exits the wall....that green verdigris may have indicated a leak at some time.
I also sheath the pipe where it comes into contact with any hygroscopic materials such as plaster or cement.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back