What is this on my walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of stripping wall paper off my walls, and have come across a covering I don't know what it is. Can you help?

Please see the attached picture, the light brown to the right is backing paper, the tan in the middle is the unknown, and the pinky surface is the plaster.

The unknown treatment only comes off with a lot of effort and a steam wall paper stripper.

What could it be, and do I have to remove it all before painting? Could it be a tough wall paper paste or PVA that has discoloured.

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_180435.jpg
    IMG_20171128_180435.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
Not a clue - but could it be sanded lightly and the whole wall gone over with Zinsser Gardz.?

I suspect that it is old paste ?
I found that a sander with vacuum worked ok, although tedious

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

1950's or earlier?

Does the tan stuff smell unpleasant and soften in hot (but not cold) water?

D**t**p*r

it doesn't feel like a glue saturated layer, its a 1930's house. it doesn't really smell but only comes off with a wall paper steamer after it has been on it a long time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back