What is this pipe for?

The pipe looks like threaded steel electrical conduit,
Yes, it does look like steel conduit, but early gas pipes were also steel. Given the barbs on the end of the pipe:
Screenshot_20230210-101903_Chrome.jpg

(Ever played with a Bunsen burner?)
I'm 100% convinced it's an old gas pipe :)

Sponsored Links
The pipe looks like threaded steel electrical conduit, so......maybe leading to an old earthing rod which might have been added ad hoc; routing through the old wooden window frame after the place was built?

Have you dug around the bottom of the pipe to see where it goes ?

I did wonder if it’s electrical - perhaps previous owner was an amateur radio hobbyist, and this is some form of antenna earthing?

Not dug around it - the ground is covered in slabs!

Yes, it does look like steel conduit, but early gas pipes were also steel. Given the barbs on the end of the pipe:
View attachment 295388
(Ever played with a Bunsen burner?)
I'm 100% convinced it's an old gas pipe :)

Does look like it! I wonder if I can find any images online of an example of what is going on - seems odd that one would attach a rubber pipe on the exterior of the house. Would think you would just steel pipe it straight in.

What is also strange is the gas pipes are under the house, so why would the gas be piped outside, to then come back in?

Very odd indeed!

Could it maybe be a LPG input point? For example, a propane bottle was connected to the barb for then supplying to a cooker, boiler etc?

Perhaps unlikely due to age and location of property though… house definitely seems to have old town gas pipes which appear to be upgraded later on for natural gas.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For anyone still interested, I removed the pipe today. So it doesn’t go under the house, it leads out towards the bottom of the garden!

My guess was it was maybe some form of rudimentary irrigation system for plants or a green house. Will have to see if I can trace the pipe to somewhere in the garden, but that may involve lifting up slabs. Maybe invest in a metal detector :)

Thanks all!

It is an old gas service pipe, call your local supplier and ask them to test it and cut it below ground then you can remove it

It is an old gas service pipe, call your local supplier and ask them to test it and cut it below ground then you can remove it

Thanks ianmcd, that's interesting, are you 100% sure? Would love to see picture/example of how this was hooked up to supply the house.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but I have access under the house, and the old gas pipe (now defunct) comes into the house from the street - the other side of the house from this pipe.

The pipe also appears to go towards the back of the garden. Behind the garden is a big woodland/valley where a river is, so i have my doubts that gas ever came from that that direction.

At any rate, its cut down now with no issue.

The pipe also appears to go towards the back of the garden. Behind the garden is a big woodland/valley where a river is, so i have my doubts that gas ever came from that that direction.
It would definitely be interesting if it wasn't gas!
And in the good old days, the gas may have come from coal gas works, so the pipework may not run from the same source.

If you are interested, have you looked at any historical maps of your area?
The National Library of Scotland holds an online collection of OS maps, going back many years.

it might not give you any answers, but the maps are really fascinating to investigate :)

And in the good old days, the gas may have come from coal gas works, so the pipework may not run from the same source.

The National Library of Scotland holds an online collection of OS maps, going back many years.

it might not give you any answers, but the maps are really fascinating to investigate :)

Thanks, i will take a look !

The irrigation system is interesting.
A hosepipe from a sink tap to the pipe, fed down the garden underground and up to a system of pipes in a greenhouse to water the veg/plants, without having to trudge down with a watering can during the Battle of Britain.

Been perhaps helpful!

There is a symbol for a 'glasshouse' in the garden in one of the OS maps from the 70s. Perhaps my irrigation system to greenhouse theory maybe slighly more plausable! haha.

Definely will look for pipework down at the bottom of the garden tomorrow, may even lift some of the paving if im feeling strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back