What is this pipe/vent above my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was up in my loft there and noticed this pipe /vent. It appears to be disconnected from its location in the roof. I'm wondering what it is and if it is important that it's not connected. The reason I ask is it's located right above an asbestos water tank so id rather not work in the area. This is my 1st year in the house and I have noticed that the loft is freezing so I'm wondering if this is letting cold air or even worse - water in

Thanks

Attachments

• 20161017_181404.jpg
    20161017_181404.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Where does the other end go? Could be a flue for a heating system but it might be redundant.
Also how do you know the tank is asbestos, it could just be fibre glass.

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I know the tank is asbestos as I had a survey done on it. Not sure where the other end goes, it is on the general direction of the boiler though. It's a standard boiler (not a combi) forgive my ignorance but do these have flues?

Sponsored Links
Thanks catlad. Is the fact that it's not properly venting outside the property i.e not properly connected a major issue?

Yes if its still in use.
Yeah, I'd assume it's still in use as the boiler is about 16 years old. So what will it be doing? Pumping gas into the loft? Is this the type of thing that does damage over time? Or is it more a risk of fire /gas leak etc?

If you have a gas fire in the house you could turn that on
give it five min and then go up and check if any heat is coming out.

It's the sort of thing that could fill the house with carbon monoxide and kill you all in your sleep.
There's an element of "if that's broken, what else is broken?" to consider.
Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?

Maybe one of the moderators will move you to plumbing as they will advise best.

Hi yeah I have carbon monoxide detectors, I'm pretty concerned now, thanks for the help, I'm going for a better look just now

give it five min and then go up and check if any heat is coming out.
Be extremely careful If that is the boiler flue and it is detached from the vent in the roof then there is a risk of there being carbon monoxide in the loft.

This is above my boiler, I'm hoping it's the same pipe and it's been cut back and is not in use

Attachments

• 20161017_191850.jpg
    20161017_191850.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 165

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back